Krylions on Mavic Aksiums

Ands
Ands Posts: 1,437
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I had to phone Spouse Rescue today :oops: as I had a puncture and couldn't get the tyre off the rim. I only put the Krylions on recently and this is the first time I have attempted to remove one. My husband had a pretty bad time trying to get them on in the first place so I was dreading the day when I had a puncture.

Does anyone else use Krylions with Aksiums, and if so, are they always a problem to get on/off? Can anyone recommend a good winter tyre that is reasonably easy to get on/off an Aksium as I don't think I want to continue using something that is impossible to get off. Thanks

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    why can i never fnd the link to the beard man video when i need it...

there is a techinque to getting tyres on (off - just reverse the procedure and push the rear of the tyre into the centre of the rim).
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I had Krylions on Aksiums and never had trouble getting them on or off. I needed to use two plastic levers for removing the tyres, but could get them back on without the levers. I've not got krylions on kyrsiums and still no problems. Keep perservering.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Took me ages to get krylions on my DRC rims from new. Partly a difficult tyre to get on and partly a difficult rim to get a tyre on. By comparision i found conti gp 4 seasons to be easier.

Krylions are good winter tyres so i wouldnt dispair then - once they've been on a while and got some miles in them they be easier to get on and off.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Thanks for the tips. How do they get easier to get on/off? Watching the youtube link from Scrumple, it's unstretchable wire that's hard to get over the edge of the rim. (That said, other half did say it was easier to get on 2nd time round.)

I managed to get two tyre levers in place but was unable to do anything more than that. However, when it happens again, I'll try and put into practice what's in the youtube clip.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    The secret is to just keep running the opposite side of the tyre back into the middle of the rim.

Keep running your fingers around the tyre, forcing it inwards and towards you(at the back) as you try and force the front's last bit over.

It makes any tryre go on - eventually!
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I watched a DVD recently froma sky spanner man who went through it using just his fingers it looked so easy!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Talc !!!