Lowering fox 36 VAN R?

sam2391
sam2391 Posts: 10
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I know this can be done by cutting the spring and adding the travel spacers normally used in floats, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-10mm-Forx-Travel-Spacer-Fork-/170680437152?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27bd58c9a0 but do you think I could fit one of these spacers without cutting the spring? Im only wantting to lower 10mm so Im hoping I can compress the assembly enough to thread the cap back into the crown, and hence lowering them to 150mm perfect for my AM 5 build. Anyone tried this or got any idea if it could work? (my fork will be here end of next week so will try then and let you know how I get on if anyone else was interested in the mod)

Comments

• I've reduced the travel on my 36 VAN R down to 120mm using a cut down spring and 2 20mm spacers. When refitting the cap I had to compress the spring a little to get it all back together (was a little nervous putting it back together, had visions of the threads giving way before I got the cap screwed down enough and having to go next door and ask for the cap back) but other than that it works fine, although i've not ridden it in anger yet as i've only just finished building the bike.

From reading the guides I found on line of how to do it I believe that not cutting the spring will cause it to feel a little stiff but you could always try different spring rates until you find one that works.