Slightly buckled wheels....

MRLEON83
MRLEON83 Posts: 42
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
How much of a difference does it make ? ... my rear wheel is buckled ever so slightly in one small patch.. I keep meaning to take it to a LBS, but never have the time (and it's boardman, I'm sure the guys look down on it becuase it obviously from Halfords)

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It can point to a deeper problem with uneven/low tension in the wheel. If the problem is bad enough, you could start to get spoke failures. You'll also have to set your brakes more open to avoid rubbing, which reduces braking power.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Too in-depth to tap into a mobile (sorry) but Google how to true a wheel and buy a spoke key (or even use a small adjustable spanner) and true it. Unless you have creased your rim it will take a couple of minutes max. It really is not tricky I promise.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    SimonAH wrote:
    Too in-depth to tap into a mobile (sorry) but Google how to true a wheel and buy a spoke key (or even use a small adjustable spanner) and true it. Unless you have creased your rim it will take a couple of minutes max. It really is not tricky I promise.
    I'd steer away from using anything other than exatly the right size spoke key. Spoke nipples are usually relatively soft and it's quite easy to round them off if they have seized a bit. I have heard it suggested that yu should put a drop of oil on each spoke nipple and let it penetrate, before you start truing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    MRLEON83 wrote:
    How much of a difference does it make ? ... my rear wheel is buckled ever so slightly in one small patch.. I keep meaning to take it to a LBS, but never have the time (and it's boardman, I'm sure the guys look down on it becuase it obviously from Halfords)

Ever so slightly buckled = no problem.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Spoke nipples are usually relatively soft and it's quite easy to round them off if they have seized a bit. I have heard it suggested that yu should put a drop of oil on each spoke nipple and let it penetrate, before you start truing.
    I can vouch for it being easy to shred a spoke nipple even with the right sized key :oops: . A drop of oil is essential (I use a quick spray of GT85 & then degrease the rim afterwards) on any wheel that has been in use for a while. But as others have said providing you pay attention it isn't too difficult to true a wheel for yourself as long as it isn't badly out of true.

Mike
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    rjsterry wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'd steer away from using anything other than exatly the right size spoke key. Spoke nipples are usually relatively soft and it's quite easy to round them off if they have seized a bit. I have heard it suggested that yu should put a drop of oil on each spoke nipple and let it penetrate, before you start truing.

Absolutely, but in extremis I have used a small justy and even the pliers on a leatherman. I do 100% agree though, right tools equals better job.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.