I realised I'm a nice cyclist today

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Some bloke on a BSO looked like he was about to change lanes this morning without looking, so even though it put me in the wrong lane, i looked, looked again and then moved out to protect his line for him. When he made the manoeuvre i then looked again and moved back to the lane i needed.

Do you do this?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hope you didn't do that on your Cofidis spec bike!

That's a lot of bike to put in harms way.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited December 2011
    All the time.

I most frequently do it at the lights on Vicky Embankment by the turn off for Temple. I pull out to take primary in the middle lane very early and block the traffic so that those who invariably try to filter in at the last minute don't have any traffic to contend with.

Of course no-one has ever noticed this since none of them have ever looked over their shoulders before changing lanes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Hope you didn't do that on your Cofidis spec bike!

That's a lot of bike to put in harms way.
    commute on that? no chance. thats in a box for the winter. unless i go away on some kind of cycling retreat to somewhere hot its not coming out until the spring.
  • I also do this all the time.

Some people just don't have the necessary training or experience to ride safely all the time, and I like giving a helping hand if I can. Sometimes they look round readying to manoeuvre and look a little puzzled as to why I'm already blocking the lane, but at least those ones are learning!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As Asprilla said. I often move out in good time & take the lane for getting around cars etc, leave room and basically shield the nodders who never shoulder check.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yup, quite often. Less that I'm clearing the lane for them and more that I'll just tend to check and move out myself if there's an obstacle before the person in front of me might, so then when they move they've already got the space.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Yeah I'm not really doing it to protect them per se, but I tend to move out early if I can and then I'm not going to overtake a load of nodders who will probably swerve out without looking, so I just wait patiently until they're all safely clear of the obstacle before proceeding.

On the whole, I like to think I'm pretty considerate, will often let peds cross if they're stranded in the middle of the road for example, and even occasionally nod cars out of turnings. *Releases spit valve on own trumpet, puts away*

OTOH, if it's some tool who has already annoyed me by shoaling, RLJing or other effwittery, as long as it's reasonably safe to do so I occasionally do take the opportunity to overtake and leave them stranded behind said obstacle - there are limits to my patience.
  • i sort of do this:

cycling along, coming up to a parked car in the distance - another cyclist up ahead who im catching...check first, then move out to primary so i can a) overtake the cyclist safely, b) no vehicles try to squeeze past (and i'm usually running better / more lights / more visible than the cyclist im overtaking)

sometimes i do say: check before pulling out etc... as i go past..
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'm not a Nice cyclist.

The only time I've been to Nice, I didn't have access to a bike
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yeah I'm not really doing it to protect them per se, but I tend to move out early if I can and then I'm not going to overtake a load of nodders who will probably swerve out without looking, so I just wait patiently until they're all safely clear of the obstacle before proceeding.

On the whole, I like to think I'm pretty considerate, will often let peds cross if they're stranded in the middle of the road for example, and even occasionally nod cars out of turnings. *Releases spit valve on own trumpet, puts away*

OTOH, if it's some tool who has already annoyed me by shoaling, RLJing or other effwittery, as long as it's reasonably safe to do so I occasionally do take the opportunity to overtake and leave them stranded behind said obstacle - there are limits to my patience.
    +1 to all of that. One of my pet hates though is the lemming like pedestrians that know the lights are about to change and traffic set of but still try and launch themselves across a 4 lane junction. That normally gets short shrift from me.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.