Good morning Lord Sugar

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
F*ck off.

If we want to ape America we could always instigate arrest and detention on suspicion with no charge or time limitations too.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Good of him to supply the ammo for the Friday rant though :wink:

Funny how in the example used in the BBC news report, all the cyclists were on Boris bikes.
    Any point in siezing them?

That said, I always carry ID just for identification should the worst happen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Friday thread 101: Source please?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/travel ... cyclists-0

What a complete cock

I didn't say fool.... my word was more akin to a one-eyed trouser snake.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    next they will be saying we have to wear helmets......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Arrant twatwaffle.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I see.

Like the notions of insurance for cyclists, paying "road tax (VED)" or having to pass a cyclist test. Does this apply to sub 16yr olds as well.

I've seen 14 - 16yr olds told to ride on the main roads or get off their bikes. They can't pay insurance, tax, do not need to pass a test, cannot have a licence (apart from a passport) and do not need to carry any form of ID.

A workable precedent cannot be set for all cyclists in the same way it can for motorists.

A lot of these 'ideas' to apply regulations for cyclists in order to bring it inline with regulations/laws applied to motorists ignores the fact that cycling is taken up by almost all ages including those not subject to adult laws.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What does he know? He's a glorified wheeler dealer.

That's fine, but it doesn't make him an authority on anything other than wheeling and dealing.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The guy asked a question, read the article before flaming!
    Lord Sugar, a keen cyclist, asked Government transport spokesman Earl Attlee: "Is it mandatory for a cyclist using the roads to carry some form of identification on them?

And if you make it as far as the end you'll be happy with the general consensus of the story..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont really see a problem here - that we should carry ID so that we can be punished if we break the law ?
    I've nothing against it - I ride under the laws of the road so it shouldnt bother me. And carrying ID is pretty sensible really in case of accident ?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Just missed the original story on BBC Breakfast, but overheard the 'let us know what you think' segment following it. The usual utter loose stool water (to borrow a Fryism). Somewhat ironic that someone who is no doubt anti-regulation when it comes to business, but quite happy to propose redundant legislation where perfectly adequate (if possibly under-enforced) laws already exist.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    cougie wrote:
    I dont really see a problem here - that we should carry ID so that we can be punished if we break the law ?
    I've nothing against it - I ride under the laws of the road so it shouldnt bother me. And carrying ID is pretty sensible really in case of accident ?

If you get caught by police you have to give details anyway.

Why burden people who aren't doing anything wrong?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, it wouldn't do anything.

If you're the kind of person who'd mow down a pedestrian and then ride off without telling them your details, what's to stop you doing the same and then riding off without showing them your 'cycling license'?

Also, the myth of "you can report a driver from the number plate and the police will do something". Ha! Have these people ever tried to do it? :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    aye to be honest, if i was stopped by the Rozzers when i was in my car i would have to hand over my particulars any ways. I always carry my driving license with me most of the time so i wouldn't be that fussed
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Lord Attlee said he "absolutely" agreed with Lord Young and encouraged everyone to read the Highway Code

Thats that sorted then - well worth the peerage

Was reading a (so called) debate on this very issue in a paper I found on the train last week - one suggestion was that 'all cyclists should be made to wear a hi-viz vest with their registration number clearly displayed on the reverse alongside their photo. ' If the person hadn't been serious it would have been very funny.

If we are to agree to even more laws being imposed on us (for as vehicles we are obliged to abide by the same laws as other traffic :| ) can we expect the same recognition as other traffic ?
    For starters I would like a safe and correct system for getting across ALL roundabouts
    Designated parking areas at ALL supermarkets/shopping centres/sporting venues/hospitals/county courts etc etc
    All cycle lanes to be serviced (as in swept clear of debris etc) on a regular basis
    etc.etc.etc
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)