In your oppinion....?

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited December 2011 in MTB general
what would you say is a fantastic HT frame that can handle abuse, able to climb well but great fun chucking it about knarley twisty trails? travel say 120-160mm compatable

if you could give material, price, set up details etc that would be great to help understand why you choose it

cheers
scot

Comments

• 120 to 160mm is a BIG range.

Does that you planning on geting an adjustable travel fork?

My old Mmmbop was surprisingly good at climbing. Very light and nimble. The ride overall was just too firm in the end though.

Really depends on your budget, and what you want though. In my personal experience, even bikes that say they work from X-Y travel forks are designed to be optimal at a specific travel, and alre almost ALWAYS better at either up or down. You need to decide which one is the most important.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    santacruz chameleon
    pace rc325
    cove stiffie
    chromag stylus (amazing bike)
    ragley troof
    one one 456
    cotic bfe.
    any of these with a 140-160 fork would be good.

just to name a few
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    OnOne 456 carbon. Nothing lighter can handle this sort of riding. Not much cheaper. If you like the geo, is a no brainer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 on the Carbon 456

And +1 on the list above. If I hadn't been tempted by the carbon, I'd have got the Chameleon, just because you can't have too much Santa Cruz.
  • 120 to 160mm is a BIG range.

Does that you planning on geting an adjustable travel fork?

My old Mmmbop was surprisingly good at climbing. Very light and nimble. The ride overall was just too firm in the end though.

Really depends on your budget, and what you want though. In my personal experience, even bikes that say they work from X-Y travel forks are designed to be optimal at a specific travel, and alre almost ALWAYS better at either up or down. You need to decide which one is the most important.

well realy its up to you, im just asking people who have had 120mm travel HT's up to 160mm, if you have U-turn in this range then cool, fling it into the mix, im just really wanting to see what people would go for and why, i myself have fancied a 456 for a while as it seems like the sort of build i would love to have, i rec=kon i would stick 140mm max om as i can still climb fine with 140mm
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    My old Saracen Zen with 150mm Revs on, twin and bash with chain device, dropper post, damn that thing could fly!
    To be honest I'd have it back and waz the Reign in the shed for a while.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Anonymous
    i rec=kon i would stick 140mm max om as i can still climb fine with 140mm
    I can still climb fine with 170mm!

Surprised me, but it climbs no different to the 130mm bike I had before. I feel travel has far less of an effect on climbing than people claim, unless you climb out of the seat a lot, which I don't.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    my bro rides his 180mm knolly dt up all the climbs, he rides it for everything from bike park to xc in whistler. people always comment on how did you get that up here, rode it is the answer. it weighs 42lbs.
    here's a pic of him on a 40km epic in the chilcotins..
    ianchilcs.jpg

i ride my 160mm hardtail and full susser up the climbs with no problems.. only lack of fitness ha me walking.
  • now that is interesting guys, i too was under the impression more travel makes you struggle, i suppose gemoetry will have something to do with it too. I can climb quite happily on my wolfridge 140mm travel, my friend could climb no probs on his 160mm reign XO

i had spied a Zen 3 a while back and nearly bought it but the seller arsed me about, quite liked it tbh
  • jallll
    jallll Posts: 31
    what about a chumba hx1... a great bike, i have owned a hx2 and rides like a dream... and a great prize at the uk dealer..

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx1/
  • jallll wrote:
    what about a chumba hx1... a great bike, i have owned a hx2 and rides like a dream... and a great prize at the uk dealer..

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx1/

when i seen the pics of the frame i imediately thought "nice" i would have one of those, then i seen it built and now im not so keen, remids me of a small giant riegn, very squashed up, i keep trying to look for the shock :lol: but having said that, the most important thing is how it rides

what have you used yours on, pro's and con's? they do look well built
    also whats the deal with the eccentric BB?
  • jallll
    jallll Posts: 31
    i have no trouble with it, great bike, another friend of mine rides a hx 2 and is very happy with it, his other bike is a turner 5 spot 2011 with marzocchi 55 rc3ti and in some routes he feels more comfortable with the chumba and prefer it to the turner..... and not only on xc routes..... don't have thinked on a 29er am hartail??
  • deadkenny wrote:

And I can climb fine with 180mm, 9sp, 36t full bouncer!
  • whats the deal with the mmmbop frame's BB shell, are they scrrew or push fit BB? also id they are screw fit would SLX double and bash fit the 63mm shell frame?
  • 1mancity2
    deadkenny wrote:

Climbing is fitness related imo, if your fit you can pedal almost anything up a hill regardless of how much travel the bike has as you guys do.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Cotic Soul is supposed to be good
    Ragley piglet at the lower end of your range handles well up and down

Ragley Blue Pig - 150mm seems to climb pretty well with no lock out and on medium springs, just shift your body weight back enough and stay seated you can climb anything if you have the technique AND the fitness!

my specialized stumpy on 120mm rear and 130mm fronts is pretty awesome for climbing, just had to adapt my ride style to take of some of the bounce, i find im a lot smoother through a whole pedal rotation now i've used it for a while!
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

Climbing is fitness related imo, if your fit you can pedal almost anything up a hill regardless of how much travel the bike has as you guys do.

I'll take that as a maaahooooosive compliment... thanks :D

I'm not fit, just persistent :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

I'll take that as a maaahooooosive compliment... thanks :D

I'm not fit, just persistent :lol:

It takes some doing riding a 36T up hill, my reign is the same and it hurts sometimes but its only gonna get you stronger, so a win win.
  • whats the deal with the mmmbop frame's BB shell, are they screw or push fit BB? also if they are screw fit would SLX double and bash fit the 63mm shell frame?

anyone here know?
  • 1mancity2
    whats the deal with the mmmbop frame's BB shell, are they screw or push fit BB? also if they are screw fit would SLX double and bash fit the 63mm shell frame?

anyone here know?

Slx comes with a hollowtech BB 68-73mm are you sure its 63mm shell and not 73?
  • 1mancity2
  • its an older frame i have in mind 68mm, would like ot know what BB it can take
  • 1mancity2
    its an older frame i have in mind 68mm, would like ot know what BB it can take

Hollowtech will fit so slx etc
  • +1 for the 456 carbon, I'm running 150mm revs and the slackset its not bad at all at climbing and is stupidly fast downwards. :)
  • Russ-Tyson wrote:
    +1 for the 456 carbon, I'm running 150mm revs and the slackset its not bad at all at climbing and is stupidly fast downwards. :)

just had a look, £400..........looks very nice indeed
  • Anonymous
    £299 at the moment for undecaled.
  • im thinking about getting a mmmbop
  • 1mancity2
    deadkenny wrote:
    £299 at the moment for undecaled.

Im tempted at that price, only thing is I will have to buy all the parts to fit it :shock:
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Plus 1 on the HX1.

Fantastic frames, I've had 2 and been well pleased with them.