Frozen Bottom Bracket

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
eek! I went to move my carbon ribble which has been living in the living room for a year and only been outside twice this year :oops:

and the cranks wouldnt move :shock: WTF is that all about, I had to flip it over and give the cranks a good hard spin to free it, even then it is pretty stiff.

Is it possible for the BB grease to set? esp as it's been living in the 20c warmth of my house all year?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Are you sure it's not the chain or back block?

If it is the crankshaft bearings then I'd suggest that maybe the problem is absence of grease.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    itboffin wrote:
    eek! I went to move my carbon ribble which has been living in the living room for a year and only been outside twice this year :oops:

and the cranks wouldnt move :shock: WTF is that all about, I had to flip it over and give the cranks a good hard spin to free it, even then it is pretty stiff.

Is it possible for the BB grease to set? esp as it's been living in the 20c warmth of my house all year?

Send it to me, i'll fix it.......and keep it! You obviously don't deserve it.....
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Probably corrosion. Most likely new BB
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ITB, you have too much disposable cash :-D
    Something is silly, but no, it's not your grease thickening at 20C! I would hop the chain off the crank - spin then and it will tell you if the BB or the back D is the issue.

Have you got pets BTW? I have a friend who's dog used to sleep up against his bike - dog hair sticks to grease and turns into the eqivalent of carbon fibre once dragged into a rear mech.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    Nope not pets but i hear what you're all saying

NEW BIKE :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You don't deserve any bike - ever! Now get off your bikes and never ride again. From now, you are a pedestrian...... (we will be watching you......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You're brave, riding a carbon bike twice in a year. I hear they are liable to explode if moved from the lounge.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    You don't deserve any bike - ever! Now get off your bikes and never ride again. From now, you are a pedestrian...... (we will be watching you......)

I've ridden 6 whole miles this week