Exposure Flare fitting

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Just bought one of these. Incredibly bright!!
Anyway, it came with the seatpost bracket but as i have a topeak medium saddle bag it wont fit.
Any suggestions? or is it a case of ditching the saddlebag?

(looked at the saddle rail bracket but again the same problem)

Comments

• tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    I suffered from exactly the same problem.

Was solved by just using the standard bracket and fixing it to right hand side seat stay instead. Used some cut up old inner tube to pad it out, get the right angle and to hold it tight.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • redvision
    tipped wrote:
    I suffered from exactly the same problem.

Was solved by just using the standard bracket and fixing it to right hand side seat stay instead. Used some cut up old inner tube to pad it out, get the right angle and to hold it tight.

and you managed to get it to sit there securely??
    will have to give that a go!
    think its a brilliant light but finding this really annoying - the one time of year you need the light is winter and that coincides with the time of year you need a saddlebag to carry spare tubes etc - or at least ime.

thanks for your tip.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I had the same problem with fitting a rear light. But I chose to ditch the saddle bag, as I found I could fit everything I needed (tubes, pump, multi-tool etc) in one of my jersey pockets. I think the bike looks better without the saddle bag dangling off the back like an udder...but that's just my opinion.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I have two of these attached to jersey/jacket - I also have a couple of lights on seat stays already. I find the flare stays attached well on the pocket/hem and I feel safer having lots of light at different heights.
  • One tip with the exposure flare is that it's not quite waterproof unless it's on (screwing it down seals it at the same time as turning it on).

I'd recommend greasing the threads to help keep water out. It's a brilliant light, just needs that little adjustment to stop it corroding from spray off your rear wheel.

Oh and I use the saddle rail mount (and stuff my jersey pockets very full...).
  • redvision
    yeah i have thought about loading pockets with stuff from the saddle bag, but then i have heard horror stories from people who have come off and a multitool or something has made a nice piercing in their back, so always been pretty wary of this.

cant believe that a company like exposure havent realised there could be a potential issue with only being able to mount the flare on seatpost or saddle rail.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    redvision wrote:
    yeah i have thought about loading pockets with stuff from the saddle bag, but then i have heard horror stories from people who have come off and a multitool or something has made a nice piercing in their back, so always been pretty wary of this.

cant believe that a company like exposure havent realised there could be a potential issue with only being able to mount the flare on seatpost or saddle rail.

:shock: Sounds unpleasant. I put my stuff in a zip up bag and put it in my jersey which would, hopefully, prevent me from being speared by my multi-tool in the event of an off. Cycling, bloody dangerous innit?
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you want to ditch your saddlebag, get a wide-lidded water bottle and put tube, tools & other kit in that. On my mtb, I get the MagicShine battery in too!