Newbie- SPD SL Shoes?? Clip/clopping around!!

abirtwis
abirtwis Posts: 11
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Please advise. Might have made an error but just bought Shimano 105 SPD SL and looking for shoes that dont- Clip Clop when walking!!!
:oops: On arrival at destination I would like to walk in comfort without slipping and clip/clopping!!!
Anyone direct me to some shoes that fit my pedals but have a tread on them?
Newbe needs help- worried I got wrong pedals??? :? I have got some 'lakes' boots with SPD for my off road bike but they dont fit my new SPD SL...
I want to tour and not race ya see... Cant see any on shimano site but its a poor site to search for products...
Cheers

Comments

• ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    I don't think there are any spd-sl shoes which will allow you to walk without clip-clopping. If you want touring type shoes then you need Shimano RT-81 or 82, which have a recessed SPD cleat or use an MTB shoe, but both of these options use SPD not SPD-SL cleats.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    Just to add, if you want touring type pedals to go with SPD shoes then you will need SPD specific pedals such as the A520, A530 , A600 etc.
  • Stick the SPD SL s on ebay someone will buy them.
  • Mmmm. Sounds like I got it wrong then. So are SL for hardcore road stuff then?????..... Ebay I think.. another loss I suppose...
    Cheers all......
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Well I did pretty much the same as you. I bought a roadbike, knew nothing about clipless pedals and bought 105's because I liked the look of them. I ploughed on however and bought Specialized bg elite shoes to use with them.

While I might well have been better with spds I really like my pedals and shoes. I don't walk on them a great deal, don't use my roadbike for commuting, and couldn't really imagine being without them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I came to road bikes via MTB so I already had spd shoes. I just put M540 spd pedals on the road bike and I got some touring type shoes which are a bit less chunky than full-on MTB ones but still have a recessed cleat / walkable tread.

I love the fact that I can hop off the bike and walk about normally. And because they aren't constantly clogged with mud the pedals and cleats seem to last forever.
  • M540's it is then!! Was just confused cos they are marketed as 'off road' pedals....
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    However, if you want a more road oriented pedal you could try the Shimano A520. This looks a lot more like a road pedal, has a bigger platform but is meant for SPD type shoes. It is only single sided but clipping in is easy enough. I'm using them on both my road bikes. They've performed very well so far.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • abirtwis wrote:
    M540's it is then!! Was just confused cos they are marketed as 'off road' pedals....

SPD's work perfectly well for road bike use :)

Sent you a PM re the spd-sl's :wink:
  • keef66
    M520's are cheaper!
  • NAH- Gotta be double sided I'm afraid... Learnt that lesson years ago!! 540's it is.....
  • keef66
    520's are double sided, just a bit heavier. They also have the flats for a pedal spanner whereas the 540'd rely on the hex socket in the end of the axle.

I only went for the 540's cos of the colour :oops: