I just weighed my bike

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,773
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
16kg!!!!!
We've got a big set of scales in the warehouse for weighing pallets so I put the bike on them. It's really busy here as you can imagine. They only go in increments of 0.5kg so not massively accurate.
Removed the lock and dropped a kilo. Lights, saddle bag and pump lost another kilo. I reckon the Mrathon plus tyres are about a kilo each. But I like the security at this time of year. Plus the bike has full mudguards and a rack.
Is that as heavy as it sounds to me. The bike is a Kona Jake with a 60cm frame. I suppose the large frame means it can carry more dirt, maybe I should wash it.
Is that massively heavy? Does it mean I'm really strong? Fortunately I only weigh 78kg so the combined weight isn't too bad.

Comments

• I don't think that the Kona Jake is renowned for being a lightweight. FWIW, my Equilibrium weighs in at just over 10 Kg, including heavy commuting wheels and mudguards.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You've just made me realise we've got scales here too. A shade under 16 kg (Pompetamine Versa, Hub, Discs, 'guards, and a rack). I'm 10 kg lighter than you, too.
    Still, nice weather to be taking home a large Remoska in its box (~40cm x 60cm x 20cm)....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    Would you like a sail to go with that?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I tried weighing mine by weighing myself holding the bike then subtracting my weight from the total. Don't think it quite worked though as the bike weight came out at 20kgs.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    suzyb wrote:
    I tried weighing mine by weighing myself holding the bike then subtracting my weight from the total. Don't think it quite worked though as the bike weight came out at 20kgs.

Unless it's a Pashley!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I once weighed a Pashley Roadster on some quite accurate scales. 23kg (or 3 stone 9lbs in old money)!

My fixie is a touch under 10kg.
    My ss is about 15kg. Considering is has no gears or racks, it is bloody heavy.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • suzyb
    Tried weighing it again just putting the bike on the scales. Came out a tad under 9kg :)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Weighed myself in jeans/shirt/undercacks - 72.6kg - just before this thread came up! Bike is about 9kg or so iirc
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    suzyb wrote:
    Tried weighing it again just putting the bike on the scales. Came out a tad under 9kg :)
    That sounds quite light. Try putting one wheel on the scales and standing on one foot with the other on a chair. Then do it again holding the chair and take an average.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    That sounds quite light. Try putting one wheel on the scales and standing on one foot with the other on a chair. Then do it again holding the chair and take an average.

If it's a girls roadie it's probably correct - my Trek is 9.9kg with mudguards and lights.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    wut?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    It would seem that girls bikes are filled with helium!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    Do they make girly bikes with 60cm frames?
  • suzyb
    msmancunia wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

If it's a girls roadie it's probably correct - my Trek is 9.9kg with mudguards and lights.
    The weight given in teh bike spec on the Giant site says it weight 9.8kg and I would assume that is for something like a mens medium. My bike is the second smallest size and only has 650c wheels.

Unfortunately the person riding it has enough extra weight to make the bike's light weight irrelevant.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    suzyb wrote:

I'm surprised you aren't claiming some of the saved 11kg for yourself :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mine were a little lighter than I thought!

Langster was 8.3 kg and the Planet X was 7.3 kg!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    suzyb wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

The weight given in teh bike spec on the Giant site says it weight 9.8kg and I would assume that is for something like a mens medium. My bike is the second smallest size and only has 650c wheels.

Unfortunately the person riding it has enough extra weight to make the bike's light weight irrelevant.

Ah but muscle weighs more than fat. That's what I tell myself anyway.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • SS cheap track bike, is 15kg/34lb with mudguards-panniers, and locks etc.

Dunno how much when on full load but it feels heavier and sluggish.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I know my current bike is a smidge lighter than a 54cm Spesh Roubaix, it is I think a trek 1500, usps colour scheme mostly ultegra and dura ace it has it's lights on a saddle bag no guards though
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i just weighed my Sectuer Sport 2012 an it came in at 10.2Kg thats got marathons +'s an race blades but.... was soaking wet hey man it all counts!!

which i don't think is too bad
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My fixed is about 8.0kg's with guards. Add on lights and pannier and it more than doubles fully loaded :shock:
  • veronese68
    I didn't weigh it with my pannier. Things are depressing enough already. I must stop looking at this thread.
  • Get yourselves one of these: 140.jpg

Great for weighing bikes (use a strap under the saddle nose), wheels and accessories (and suitcases!)

My commuter 15.34kg (inc guards, lock & rack, but not lights) Add approx 1.9kg for panniers and 5.5kg for laptop/clothes = 22.75kg, or 50lb in old money, no wonder its hard work!

My road bike 9.82kg (inc seatbag and bits inside)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Singlecross defied gravity with 12.12kgs of effort, thats with roadracer guards, Magishines, Saddlebag and 1/4 full bottle I should empty. With me on the bike I'm surprised there aren't ruts in the road like HGVs leave in lane one of the motorway :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Veronese68 wrote:
    16kg!!!!!

I did the same last year.
    I just weighed my commuting bike; 33lb (15Kg). Then I weighed the bike plus pannier (with some stuff in it, such as my spare tube and some tools). That came to 41lb (18.6Kg). Finally, I weighed the bike plus pannier and a typical set of clothes (jeans, T-shirt).

43lb (19.5Kg)

(From this thread)

I don't think your 16+Kg is too atypical, really, but yeah it's probably on the heavy side of average for commuting steeds.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    My standard commuter comes in at a quoted weight of 10.5 kg before i stick a single light , pannier, rack or mudgaurds on it.
    Fully loaded i reckon i am looking at around 20 kgs !!
    FCN 3/5/9