Racing wheels

carbon337
carbon337 Posts: 414
edited December 2011 in Amateur race
Anyone done any racing on PX model B wheels - looking for something on the cheap to begin racing on. Road and car track races.

ta

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Yup. They're light, quick to spin up and very good value for money. As a caveat, though, I don't have much to compare them to: I've never ridden deep section carbon rims or the like.

I race 'em with Pro3 Races on, and train on Conti GPs.

If you do buy them, I would make sure you check the spoke tension. A few of mine unwound when they were new. Having said all of that, my front wheel is now seriously out of true - job for the weekend I think!

Also, nice and easy to keep clean!
  • I'll train on R500's and maybe begin racing on PxmB with some nice tyres.

Also use them for sportives etc but then pack them away. Cant justify 500 quid sitting in a room being used every now and again.
  • phy2sll2
    If you up your budget slightly, you might be able to pick up a pair of these mean looking b'tards:

WPPX2010CAR5082_P1.jpg
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPX2010CAR5082/planet_x_pro_carbon_2010_50_82_wheelset

For 329.99.

Use the code UKCOLDSNAP.
  • Up it slightly? - that would be more than doubling it.
  • phy2sll2
    Uh huh, better get the kids started on sowing wallets.
  • I've raced on Fulcrum 7's.

Use whatever you have to hand that's clean and 100% working, a stiff light wheel feels better and corners (marginally) better but makes very little difference to who's going to win a 3/4th Cat race.
  • Racing condor - you missed the crucial component...... The "want" factor ;) of course its not about the gear but it makes us feel better and hence maybe an extra 1%
  • Sorry, my bad :lol:

In penance I'll admit that I've just had some handbuilts made with Chris King R45's and Ambrosio Excellight rims. They're very pretty :D .

To modify my earlier advice - Race whatever is clean and working, then get jealous of the insanely fine bikes/wheels some people race on and buy something better. Repeat every 6 months until you can't afford to buy more. :wink:
  • sorry if this is predictable but RS80s are great - few spokes, aero spokes, light rims are easy to accelearate, and the DA CL24s I have are STIFF like STIFF things on a cold day. on sportives they're a bit tiring for for a 1.5 hour race it's a no-brainer.

is £350 out of your budget? anything under £300 has zero "want" factor in most people's books. MadFibre, Lightweight, Bora, Mavic CCU are "want wheels". I'd suggest you need to re-calibrate your "want" meter.

I'll also add Stan Alpha 340 rims in 24/28 if you're under 75 kgs or 28/28 if you're over 75kgs laced with CX rays 2x/3x on the rear to keep it stiff are a great bet.

You can race anything but lighter/stiffer stuff just feels better and life is short.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • carbon337 wrote:
    looking for something on the cheap to begin racing on.

You nailed it right there, they aren't 'good value for money' they are in fact cheap. Fulcrums 3's, RS30's, or similar spec Mavics would be a good shout...stick to the wheel manufacturers - not the importers of cheap components from up north. (I learnt the hard way finding out that PX bikes are in fact cheap)
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    nothing wrong with PX wheels - I have a couple of sets, including a pair of carbon 50 tubs and I think the price/performance is excellent.
  • You'd be better off saving up for something that either provides lower weight or are tubs.
    You are wasting your money.