So you think your bike is safe in a bike box?

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Not on El-Al it isn't...

http://www.facebook.com/EL.AL.Baggage

This poor chap's Orbea was completely ruined, not sure if the airline or the box is more at fault.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Blimey! It looks as though someone has driven a truck over it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Great. Just booked next year's trip to France and reserved my bike box...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Erk!

James, using the same box as last time? They're pretty solid. Mine is less so...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Blimey.

My Scicon box was smashed a couple of years ago when returning from Mallorca. Bike was OK. Took the effort to fill in a form at the airport and made them take photographs (even though I was knackered), the airline paid out £500 for a replacement.

Numerous fibreglass repairs and 4 new castor wheels, I was on my way for less that £30.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For the price of a good box couldn't you hire a bike out there?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    no, i went to israel for 2 weeks 2 years ago. was desperate to get some riding in out there. was near enough impossible to find a bike to hire nevertheless a decent one. in the end i gave up.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Its just not the same as being on your own bike though. Fine for mountain biking, but your road bike should be a part of you.
  • rick_chasey
    Does it really make that much difference?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Would it be safer to put the bike in a clear plastic bag with strategic bubble-wrap? That way the baggage-handlers can see it's delicate.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Travelling once, yes. The box pays for itself intwo trips, depending on the cost of the box & bike hire.

Plus you get your own bike.
    Oh, and the brake levers are on opposite sides on the continent. That catches people out.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    assuming neither the bike nor the box breaks!
  • il_principe
    I must admit I'd be surprised if even the most dedicated of baggage handlers could smash a bikeboxalan. I'm hiring one again next year. They are sturdy and have a steel pole that prevents crushing. Bloody massive though.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i wish i had a bikeboxalan to store my best bike in over the winter. might invest when bonus comes around
  • daviesee
    assuming neither the bike nor the box breaks!
    Fair point. But what are the chances of that happening?
    Then insurance kicks in.
  • rick_chasey
    Out of interest, how much does it cost to hire a proper road bike?

I've thought about it a lot. My bikes are nothing exciting. The only good thing about them is they fit, but I'm sure some good measurements and I'd be good to go.

Would be nice to take out a special steed just for the champagne cycling abroad.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    That damage is extreme I'd hazard a guess that box was run over by truck.

What do fed-ex charge to ship a bike?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Sketchley wrote:

erm, how would it get to you again?
    FCN 12
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    Oh, and the brake levers are on opposite sides on the continent. That catches people out.

No they are not :wink:

I hired a Giant TCR in Colorado this year. I was fine on it. For a day trip it won't make much difference. For a proper cycling holiday I think I'd rather have my own bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    neiltb wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

erm, how would it get to you again?

FexEx the bike to the hotel you are staying in, any decent hotel will hold it for you until you get there providing you tell them first, not that difficult to do. I've met a few people that do this for holidays, e.g. ship luggage to hotels as they don't want the hassle of travelling with it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I hired a Giant TCR in Colorado this year. I was fine on it. For a day trip it won't make much difference. For a proper cycling holiday I think I'd rather have my own bike.
    Tsk. On the continent, he said, not across the pond.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    JonGinge wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Tsk - my two comments are separate and independant!
  • Out of interest, how much does it cost to hire a proper road bike?

I've thought about it a lot. My bikes are nothing exciting. The only good thing about them is they fit, but I'm sure some good measurements and I'd be good to go.

Would be nice to take out a special steed just for the champagne cycling abroad.

This is the best (in my opnion) cycle hire shop in Mallorca. You can see the prices and bikes available by clicking on book online. Gives you an idea on what you would pay elsewhere probably.

http://www.procyclehire.com/
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers essex - not bad prices!
  • jonginge
    Rolf F wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Tsk - my two comments are separate and independant!
    :lol: Thought they might be but your first point doesn't tally with my experience... that the left lever tends to be wired to the front brake over in europe
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    JonGinge wrote:
    :lol: Thought they might be but your first point doesn't tally with my experience... that the left lever tends to be wired to the front brake over in europe

Correct - all I was hinting at was that some of us like a nice cable line and have long since already gone to left front braking over here! Therefore some of us will suffer no confusion (not that I ever have any probs switching anyway).

Except on my MTB which is more complicated.......
  • Out of interest, how much does it cost to hire a proper road bike?

About £100 a week based on the hire I did last year in Majorca.

Considering the airline charged nearly that to take a bike box with you, for a weeks cycling, it is not worth the risk to me
  • il_principe
    Out of interest, how much does it cost to hire a proper road bike?

About £100 a week based on the hire I did last year in Majorca.

Considering the airline charged nearly that to take a bike box with you, for a weeks cycling, it is not worth the risk to me

See I don't get this. When I go abroad I want my bike, not a hire job, but a bike i am comfortable with and trust. What's the point of spending £x on a road bike and then not using it abroad...
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

For the club trip to Mallorca this year everyone took their own bike except one woman who couldn't be bothered with the hassle. She doesn't "do" luggage :shock: Her husband takes care of that.
    The brakes being on the "wrong" sides really freaked her out on the descents.

PS:- There would have still been the same hassle of setting the bike up and stripping her saddle, speedo and pedals off. Except she left it in the hands of other mugs to do it for her! Off topic now...........
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thanks Liv just what I needed to see, i'm hiring the same inflatable bike box next year and i'm most likely taking my Alu Trek to the Alps - it's just more comfortable than anything else I have, that is unless of course I get a NEW BIKE :roll:

PS. I have two bikes i've swap the brakes over for better cable routing, never been a problem for me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Its bent the chainwheel How ???