Pedal Trouble

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,372
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Turns out it wasn't the bottom bracket that had died (yay!). Managed to nurse the bike home last night, with it creaking and groaning up Brixton Hill, but once I'd made it home, an inspection revealed that the left pedal bearing is well and truly shot (boo!), with the pedal refusing to spin freely. No wonder it felt like such hard work, even al;lowing for the wind.

Now, this pedal - a Wellgo WPD823, nothing fancy, but supposedly sturdy and reliable - was only fitted at the end of September. I'd have assumed this was just a manufacturing fault, and will be sending the pedals back, but these pedals were fitted to replace a pair of Shimano M520s, the left of which had also failed in the same way after less than a year.

So the question is, what (if anything) am I doing to these pedals that is wearing the bearings out so quickly? And why just the lefthand pedal? I always unclip the left foot and push off with the right, so I'd expect the cleat to wear faster, but not the bearing. It's not as though I put a lot of weight (63kg) through the pedals either. Are cheaper SPD pedals just not up to it these days?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Maybe you're just too awesome for SPDs?

I've been having problems with non-drive side pedals and cranks, but this is more understandable as I push off with my left so that side has to deal with all of my awesome. Perhaps in your case you may be pushing off with your right but once moving you really put the power down with your left?

63kg?! You fat git!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Maybe you're just too awesome for SPDs?

I've been having problems with non-drive side pedals and cranks, but this is more understandable as I push off with my left so that side has to deal with all of my awesome. Perhaps in your case you may be pushing off with your right but once moving you really put the power down with your left?
    Well I didn't want to be the first to suggest it :roll: :lol: I'd wondered about that, but I'm pretty sure I do push harder with the right, as that calf is noticeably more developed than the left.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Do you leave your bike lying on it's side with the left pedal lying in a pool of dirty water?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    cheaper pedals tend to have cheaper bearings which are less sealed than the more expensive pedals.

why you only destroy the left one i have no idea though
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Do you leave your bike lying on it's side with the left pedal lying in a pool of dirty water?
    :lol: Almost never gets left outside: steel bike shed at home, hung on the wall in the office.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    :lol: Almost never gets left outside: steel bike shed at home, hung on the wall in the office.
    Not that then. I presume it doesn't hang on the hook from your left pedal either.
    Being a bit more serious now. Cars suffer more from water damage on the left hand side because of all the puddles and associated muck in the gutter. I don't think this would cause any problems on a bicycle. Sorry I can't be much help.
  • rjsterry
    So, when I send them back, do I go for replacement, or refund and put it towards something new, and if so what? Not keen on going back to M520s based on their previous performance, and they seemed to wear the cleats out very quickly, where the pedal mechanism hooked over the back of the cleat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I've got some cheapish Wellgo SPDs on my main commuter. Must be getting on for 3 years old now, and though they look a bit tatty they are still working just fine. In that time they have been taken off and cleaned property just twice, other than that they get an occassional wash with soapy water followed by a quick squirt of whatever lub is to hand.

Got more expensive, better looking Shimano pedals on other bikes but they don't work any better than the Wellgo ones.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    edited December 2011
    I've got some cheapish Wellgo SPDs on my main commuter. Must be getting on for 3 years old now, and though they look a bit tatty they are still working just fine. In that time they have been taken off and cleaned property just twice, other than that they get an occassional wash with soapy water followed by a quick squirt of whatever lub is to hand.

Got more expensive, better looking Shimano pedals on other bikes but they don't work any better than the Wellgo ones.

You see this is exactly my quandry: even a budget SPD pedal should be fine. It's not a weight issue and I'm no Chris Hoy, I'd assume it was just a duff pair except that the same thing has now happened twice. Previous to this pair and the M520s, I had a pair of VP 104s (again modestly priced) that lasted me about 10 years and are still in use on my Dahon - bearings are fine, but the springs are a bit slack now.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Two left pedal failures out of two pedal failures isn't statistically relevant. Even two premature failures out of two sets of pedals isn't really conclusive.

Pack the next set with white lithium grease before you start to use them - or break out the wallet and upscale with some posher sealed units ah reckon.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    Just checked, and Wiggle don't do the WPD823 any more so I'll have to go for something different. Ta for the suggestions
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    I think Simon is right about 2 failures not being enough to be relevant. Could just be coincidence.
    However, 1 thing that could cause it and you might not realise if it's on the bike you use most. Could the left hand crank be very slightly bent or tewisted? Not enough for it to be obvious but enough to put an increased load on the bearing at certain points.
    If it were anything like this you'd probably notice the bikes you use less feeling odd as the pedal tracks perfectly straight compared to a slight wobble you've become used to.
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think Simon is right about 2 failures not being enough to be relevant. Could just be coincidence.
    However, 1 thing that could cause it and you might not realise if it's on the bike you use most. Could the left hand crank be very slightly bent or tewisted? Not enough for it to be obvious but enough to put an increased load on the bearing at certain points.
    If it were anything like this you'd probably notice the bikes you use less feeling odd as the pedal tracks perfectly straight compared to a slight wobble you've become used to.

Now that does sound like a possibility. The Giant is ridden almost exclusively, so I wouldn't notice. Two other possibly connected observations: 1. when I fitted the Wellgos, I had to take the bike to Cyclelab to get the lefthand M520 off, despite it being properly greased. Evn then the mechanic had to use a 2' pedal spanner and all his body weight to get it off. 2. my right calf has been playing up for the last couple of weeks - constantly feels very tight. I had put this down to pushing off too hard at one set of lights or other, but despite resting it as best I can, it won't go away.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spasypaddy
    so the conclusion we have come to here is you need a new crankset for those pedals. which funnily enough i have one going cheap...
  • rjsterry
    spasypaddy wrote:
    so the conclusion we have come to here is you need a new crankset for those pedals. which funnily enough i have one going cheap...

Tell me more :D
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spasypaddy
    rjsterry wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

raceface cadence cx (it was listed on here but the listing has gone).
    39x46 chainrings
    130bcd
    170mm arms
  • rjsterry
    spasypaddy wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

raceface cadence cx (it was listed on here but the listing has gone).
    39x46 chainrings
    130bcd
    170mm arms

Hmm, I'll have a think as I'm currently on 42/52T with a square taper BB and longer arms - 175; I'll need to check my BCD and BB shell width as well. Is it the proprietary X-type BB, and what width?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spasypaddy
    if you are on a 42x52 then the likelihood is you are on 130bcd as that sounds like a standard rather than a compact.

xtype is exactly the same as shimano hollowtech 2.
  • rjsterry
    Righto. Will get back to you tomorrow.
    Pinnacle Monzonite