Confused on what chainset to buy ...

trogg-
trogg- Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, hope you can help,

I need a new chainset but am a little confused on what I should be looking for, it's a 9 speed triple with a square (tapered ?) bottom bracket.

I'm on a budget and was looking at this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNTOUR-XCT-M ... 84b80093db
there are others at this sort of price, but it says it'll fit 6,7,8,9 speed bikes, I thought I'd need a chainset suitable for a 9/10 speed :?

Also, if I bought a chainset with the bottom bracket included how do I know it would fit my frame ?
I.E. this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-SLX-F ... 27c0ff79ed

My bike is a old Giant Terrago

thanks for any help 8)

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Fitting something like the Slx uses a different type of BB but is designed to fit a 68 or 73mm shell.

Changing your Crankset will almost certainly require you to change your chain and rear cassette (due to wear and tear issues).
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The SLX will fit, you should have the BB faced but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks both for your replies,

I have bought a new chain and cassette and I only really need the middle chain ring, but the middle and small chain rings are riveted together hence the decision to get a complete chain/crankset

cheers :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be honest, given the questions you are asking, I'd stick to a replacement square taper crankset on your existing BB, you can get some nice ones used that would improve your bike while leaving it suitably period.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, you're probably right Simon,

someone has a Octalink crankset on ebay which I was tempted to buy, however I'll stay with 'like for like' till I know better :D

:wink: