E-Thirteen XCX Chain guide do I need e-type or normal?

coursemyhorse
coursemyhorse Posts: 192
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I have a Specialized Stumpjumper 2007 Comp and I want to go 1x10. Just specing all the parts and stuff and I have been told the E-Thirteen XCX chain guide is one of the best for this as is light, good price and does the job well. My mate currently can't even tell me what he runs on his stumpjumper as has forgot. From what I can gather I see two main types available:

The below is just referred to as E-Thirteen XCX chain guide:

3Cha104385239-E-Thirteen-XCX-Chain-Guide-2011.jpg

And the below I think is the e-type one? Which one do I need or which one can I use? Is there a benefit to one over the other? Is e-type more easy? My bottom bracket is a stock one I think "Truvativ GXP sealed outbound catridge."

e-thirteen-xcx-e-type-chain-guide.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what BB fitting do you have?
    what mech fitting do you have?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have no idea. I'm quite new to the technical aspects of mtbing.
  • nicklouse
    link to your bike or pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Similar to this:

P9050014.jpg
  • nicklouse
    so what BB fittingis it?

that bike does not use an E type front mech.

but without the info above who knows.
  • When I looked at the bottom bracket on my bike it said sm-bb51 if this helps? sorry :(
  • That's not what you link to!
  • nicklouse
    ok from that info it seems that you have external bearings (GXP originally and shimano now) and the frame does not have any ISCG mounts or E type mount so you need a BB mount device.
  • This means nothing to me I'm sorry. :( Thanks for your help I appreciate it. So, is my bottom bracket a bad one? Are you saying it was an internal type and now is an external bearing type? Is this worse? What is an ISCG or E-Type mount? I assume a BB mount device means I need the top picture e-thirteen device right, since this has the hole where it goes around the BB to mount?
  • You need to tell us exactly what you do have, what you are planning to get and what exactly you are trying to achieve. Otherwise we're guessing.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    fear not..

origionally you had a
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-gxp-team-b ... t-cup-set/

you now got a shimano style one

your frame does not have itsc tabs
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -are-these

you dont have etype fittings
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st_etype.html

so something like this is what you need.
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html to fit this you would have to remove the drive side bb, and remove one of the spacers replacing it with this...
    depedning what size bb shell you have there will be 2 or 1 spacer... if it's 2 then replace one the spacers with the e13. if it only one spacer fit the e13 in the spacers place....
    or this if your front mech is a typical band type... (ie clamps round the seat tube)
    http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st.html
  • Nice one!

Er why does he want too it. and does he know what to do when he's got it, assuming he's doing it himself?
  • Sorry guys. Ok delcol thanks I think it sounds like you have it sorted. So to confirm this is how it is:

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper 2007 Comp
    It has currently 3 front chain rings 44-32-22
    It has a front derailleur that is SRAM X9
    It has Shimano SLX shifters front and rear 10spd
    It has a Shimano XT rear derailleur with 11-34 shimano cassette and I don't know what chain all 10spd
    It did come stock with a GXP BB yes, but now has some Shimano one that says SM-BB51 on it
    The crank arms just say Shimano on them I don't know what level Shimano they are

I want to go 1 x 10 and propose to buy the following:

1 x SRAM Right hand rear X9 trigger shifter 10spd
    1 x SRAM X9 rear mech short cage
    1 x shimano xt 10spd cassette 11-36
    1 x E-Thirteen ? ? ? chain guide as debated above as to which one
    and reuse my current 32 tooth front chain ring

is there anything else I need? I gather shorted bolts for the chain ring are needed? Maybe a chain measuring tool and chain breaker.

Thanks
  • Yeah a new chainset
  • nicklouse
    make sure the rear mech is 10spd. you dont mention it but you do for the shifter.

new chainset not needed.

short bolts if you dont have a bash/guide ring.

and dont forget the device replaces on BB spacer.
  • Yeah a new chainset

Are you saying I should replace the 32 with a new one at the same time?
  • Thanks Nicklouse. The chain device replaces the BB spacer. Ok yep.
    Sorry yes I forgot to add 10spd to rear mech, I did mean to say that yes.

Thanks for the help all. I know I am not too good with all the terminology yet but I am quite mechanically minded and don't mind having a go. I think I can fit this all myself with help from a mate easy.
  • What I'm saying is do you actually need any of that. Why change shifter and mech ect... it all seems a bit pointless.
  • What I'm saying is do you actually need any of that. Why change shifter and mech ect... it all seems a bit pointless.

I am converting to a 1x10 setup. I want to run a 11-36 cassette for my gearing needs so the 11-34 one gets replaced. I want to run a shortcage rear mech so I chose SRAM X9 and consequently X9 shifters. The chain device is necessary to stop the chain throwing. Which bit do you not understand?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Sorry guys. Ok delcol thanks I think it sounds like you have it sorted. So to confirm this is how it is:

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper 2007 Comp
    It has currently 3 front chain rings 44-32-22
    It has a front derailleur that is SRAM X9
    It has Shimano SLX shifters front and rear 10spd
    It has a Shimano XT rear derailleur with 11-34 shimano cassette and I don't know what chain all 10spd
    It did come stock with a GXP BB yes, but now has some Shimano one that says SM-BB51 on it
    The crank arms just say Shimano on them I don't know what level Shimano they are

I want to go 1 x 10 and propose to buy the following:

1 x SRAM Right hand rear X9 trigger shifter 10spd
    1 x SRAM X9 rear mech short cage
    1 x shimano xt 10spd cassette 11-36
    1 x E-Thirteen ? ? ? chain guide as debated above as to which one
    and reuse my current 32 tooth front chain ring

is there anything else I need? I gather shorted bolts for the chain ring are needed? Maybe a chain measuring tool and chain breaker.

Thanks
    no worries i kinda had an idea were you were going and from what nick said what you already had.. google helped me with the rest....
    glad to help... we were all beginners once.....
  • :) I will post up a thread in welcome sectionif there is one, when I take some pics of my bike. been so busy lately this time of year. Bloomin xmas!