Joy to the world

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Been a bit miserable of late.

Just found out the guy who sits in front of me is doing a triathlon.

(This is a guy who won't buy any shoes for work that are under £200).

Cheered me up no end - especially after the sh!t he gives me for cycling.

Let's wait till I catch him in Richmond Park.

:twisted:

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This will be you too at the watercooler then..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8tIRm9nle8
  • rick_chasey
    He doesn't even own a bike. :lol:

Let me put this into context.

He really really rates himself as an athlete > all he does is weights in the gym and the odd run.

He gives me sh!t for lycra more or less every day.

He's not ridden a bike in anger in about 20 years.

Je suis will enjoy this.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    he won't buy any shoes for work that are under £200

sounds like an eminently sensible young chap. I bid him godspeed.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Point him in the direction of Rapha.

Please, please, please keep us updated.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    What triathlon is he doing? Sounds like even I could beat him. Please tell me he can't swim.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    cjcp wrote:
    Point him in the direction of Rapha.

Please, please, please keep us updated.

Ooooh, yes, please do. Although if he ever finds out about this thread, getting ribbed about your lycra may be the least of your problems.

I can already see the purchase of ALL the kit including £5K TT bike, aero lid, £300 shoes x 2, etc, etc.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Run, Fatboy run - no not Dennis - you'll have to start calling him Whit :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    So why has this guy suddenly decided to do a triathlon, out of the blue like that?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    Will discuss on Friday night!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Or you could discuss now so that the vast majority of folk here can hear the story :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rolf F wrote:

Or you could discuss now so that the vast majority of folk here can hear the story :wink:

Time for you to force yourself to come down to London again! You know how much you enjoy it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, but I've probably said enough to get sacked, so I'm going to rein it in a bit...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Time for you to force yourself to come down to London again! You know how much you enjoy it...

I'd love to - I enjoy a good Morpeth do (all those discussions about nearly getting up to double figures etc etc :lol: ) but this weekend I am stuck in the (not very) windy North :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mmmm Revenge is a dish best served with Liquid Nitrogen......!!!

No seriously, this sounds like an ideal place for an SCR duel as part of his "Training".

Sounds very much like got all the gear, but $od all idea.........
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    he won't buy any shoes for work that are under £200

sounds like an eminently sensible young chap. I bid him godspeed.

Depends - is that at Trickers or Gucci? Can't be Lobb at that price.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    rick please send him my way i'll sell him everything he could ever want and not need!
  • mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    What a bell end. Work pays for your free time. If you spend £200+ on shoes for work you either have too much money and trouble spending it, or hideously skewed priorities. Just doing weights is so remorselessly sh!te, that’s saying “I only care about how I look”, when you can put that same amount of effort into riding for adventure, experience, exhileration (or any sport, sport is fun, weights are a task).....I cannot see any benefit in spending good money on office uniform when it could be spent on bikes and cake. All flash and no substance, I long to hear about his Jenson Button man-crush ending in you kicking his ass in the tri!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You need to go out on a few practice rides with him, but only ride at a max under 15mph. Then tell him you've done a few tris and finished quite well due to your speed on the bike.

When he's able to go past you at 17mph tell him you're amazed with his speed and you're sure he'll wipe the floor with everyone else.

Then, come raceday...... :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mitb
    You can use his ignorance to freak him out too. When he spends five grand on a bike you can say
    "A Pinarello? Interesting....you get it cheap though, right?". He'll soil his overpriced wetsuit.
  • clarkey cat
    I reckon he'll get a half-decent bike - train really hard - and end up being a pretty good cyclist.
  • bails87
    But just in case he doesn't, and he gives up, Rick should convince him to buy a bike that Rick wants, which he can then pick up second hand at a bargain price :lol:
    MTB/CX

• mitb
    Clarkeycat, please don't stick up for this person because you approve of his excessively expensive shoe policy. I've heard enough, he sounds like a massive git. Unless you have a truly wonderful job (helping people, creatively fulfilling, or The Saturdays' underwear advisor for example) then taking the money you earn and putting it back in to working is a very depressing thing. Doesn't the weight training and lycra-p!ss-taking make you want to slap him??
  • clarkey cat
    Cheap shoes are a false economy.
  • bails87
    Not true, my £19 Tesco shoes are seemingly indestructable, real leather too. :wink:
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    do they look like this?

norm-49a81546edae3-Forrest+Gump+1994.jpeg
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    bails87 wrote:
    real leather too. :wink:

Real cow leather?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mitb
    I had some Tesco £12 shoes that lasted about 18 months. They may have been made of mouse leather but they were great shoes. But even if you don't go that cheap, Two Hundred Quid? On work shoes? For men, there should be nothing more expensive than Clarks. Women's and bike shoes are different...I don't care how much work went into the shoes I work in, I drive my car, sit at a desk and occasionally make a cup of tea in them. Their main role is to stop rain making my socks soggy. They do not look £150 less brilliant than tri-boy's and no-one looks at them anyway.
    Still, people should be free to spend their hard-earned however they wish. Unless it's on *^@^ing work shoes.
  • The only trouble I have with such types is it's false SCR since even though they maybe on flash carbon etc, it's hardly a contest between equals.

which is annoying as i rarely see any thing worth a punt at any way!
  • bails87 wrote:
    You need to go out on a few practice rides with him, but only ride at a max under 15mph. Then tell him you've done a few tris and finished quite well due to your speed on the bike.

When he's able to go past you at 17mph tell him you're amazed with his speed and you're sure he'll wipe the floor with everyone else.

Then, come raceday...... :twisted:

You're a naughty naughty boy!