Is it Illegal...

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
...for boris bikes ( otr their users) to obey ANY traffic signals or other road laws?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'd think so wouldn't you....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Oi, I used a Boris Bike a few times, and followed all the rulez!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    spen666 wrote:
    ...Is it Illegal...?

You're the bloody lawyer aren't you and usually fairly quick to give your opinion. its a rum do if you have to ask a bunch of cyclists on a messageboard if something is illegal.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Yes. Also, if you check the TFL website, you'll see in the guidelines for use that 'when setting off, Boris Bike riders should slowly drift across from the right-hand lane, gradually making their way towards the kerb. On no account should a shoulder-check be performed at any time during this manoeuvre'.
  • bails87
    Hmmm, I was obviously doing it wrong then :lol:
    MTB/CX

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    bails87 wrote:
    Oi, I used a Boris Bike a few times, and followed all the rulez!

Thereby breaking the law in doing so.
  • However, I won't have a bad word said about BBs as the other day whilst walking down Cannon St I saw a tiny Asian lady on one coming the other way, coasting, stood bolt upright on the pedals like a meerkat. It was possibly the cutest thing I've seen all year.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Pfft, Boris bikes are pretty harmless. You can't go more than 12-15mph without putting in a herculean effort. They may well jump red lights and ride on the pavement all the time but surely there are more important things to be worrying about.

Besides, I reckon they'd only be a problem to you if you were breaking the speed limit ;)
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    Pfft, Boris bikes are pretty harmless. You can't go more than 12-15mph without putting in a herculean effort. They may well jump red lights and ride on the pavement all the time but surely there are more important things to be worrying about.

Besides, I reckon they'd only be a problem to you if you were breaking the speed limit ;)
    Given how heavy they are I reckon one could write off anything smaller than an Astra before the rider felt a bump!
    MTB/CX

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I've seen a Meercat riding one - it looked just like a tiny asian lady coasting on the pedals.

I've also seen one crash into a Gwizz electric car, completely destroying the car; bike and rider unscathed.

some of the above might not be true
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They have Boris Bikes in Santander (Spain, not the bank). The natives seem as random on them there as our very own southerners are here when it comes to weaving along the cycle paths etc. Fun, but heavy.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    spen666 wrote:
    ...for boris bikes ( otr their users) to obey ANY traffic signals or other road laws?

I cast thee troll......Gone!

trollspray.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83