Windbound.....

Comments

• From which direction though? I can live with gusts as long as they come from the NE.

There'll be less wind in the morning when I'm cycling SW -> NE but I'll get bowled along when going home NE -> SW

Please.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • From which direction though? I can live with gusts as long as they come from the NE.

The only clue is
    with the strongest gusts likely to be to the east of the Pennines.

Which suggests that the winds will at least be from a generally easterly direction.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    From which direction though? I can live with gusts as long as they come from the NE.

The only clue is
    with the strongest gusts likely to be to the east of the Pennines.

Which suggests that the winds will at least be from a generally easterly direction.

More likely from the North, given the time of year.

67dryenglishmap.th.jpg
  • Let's say NE then - it's bound to be anyway, to favour the chosen people who occupy the promised lands of SW London.

Whatever happens, it's bound to work out badly for us poor benighted SE London folk *shakes fist at the uncaring heavens*
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I think people should check their area - there are now weather warnings popping up and I'm looking at 60mph gusts tomorrow. There's no way I'm going to cycle in that, the vortices created by the lorries passing me will have off in an instant.

Not to mention it'll be a 60mph headwind on the way home
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Reports of hill blizzards up here but a heavy rub in MTFU and we'll be fine
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • As an aside, WTF have the BBC done to their weather pages? If I select the UK tab, the "Inverness" label covers most of the Highlands so I can't actually see what the weather is. There's no wind reported either. On the mobile site, it lists "Glasgow" when I ask for Inverness weather (that's 180 miles away).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Popped out to a site meeting in Camden at midday and got blown to a standstill on a couple of occasions. That's central London! :shock: (albeit with some very effective funnelling from the surrounding buildings) so I don't envy those in more exposed locations
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I thought he was admitting to consumption of jerusalem artichokes...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    liverpool isnt sounding too good to be cycling through tonight either

click
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I thought he was admitting to consumption of jerusalem artichokes...

"Fartichokes" you mean? The work of the devil...
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Weather has the potential to be appalling through the Central Belt tomorrow afternoon/evening. Strongest winds will be blowing from the west and gradually veer around to blow from the Northwest then from the North during Thursday night...becoming NE'ly on Friday am.

gusts of 80-90mph through Central belt will close all the major bridges in Central scotland...it's not a day to travel by car or bike. Across Northern England conditions wont be quite so extreme...but still quite windy....strongest winds to the east of of the penines even though winds are coming from the west due to a phenomena called Lee gustiness

Snow tomorrow too for a lot of places in northern half of britain...mostly for higher up bits, but snow levels may fall down to sea level now and again especially on Thursday night and Friday.

Scottish hills will be appalling..I expect the A9 to be closed, plus all high level roads in SCotland
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    15mph Westerly tonight in London. Make sure you have you helmet straps done up tight, chaps...
  • rjsterry
    I thought he was admitting to consumption of jerusalem artichokes...

"Fartichokes" you mean? The work of the devil...

Pub quiz trivia: the jerusalem in the name is a corruption of girasole - an old name for sunflower (Italian, I think), of which the jerusalem artichoke is a relative. I have some growing in the garden.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• girasole

Which would of course mean 'turns to the sun', like the French 'Tournesol'.

Edit: Why does this stupid forum not let me type 'Would' followed by 'of'? Must be run by grammar nazis...
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    15mph Westerly tonight in London. Make sure you have you helmet straps done up tight, chaps...
    The perfect night for my bottom bracket to give up the ghost :evil:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stick with Met Office - the data on the other websites either comes from the Met Office or will be more innaccurate than the Met Office :lol:

Mostly Southerlies in the morning and Westerlies in the evening. That gives me 40 mph cross wind gusts in the morning and 60 mph headwind gusts in the evening......... :|
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Edit: Why does this stupid forum not let me type 'Would' followed by 'of'? Must be run by grammar nazis...
    Yup, grammar nazis. Saving me from reading a little bit of poor grammar and, possibly, teaching you a little something.

Now, lets see if they will be able to sort out brakes/breaks etc.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yup, grammar nazis. Saving me from reading a little bit of poor grammar and, possibly, teaching you a little something.

But what I wanted to write, admittedly sans commas, was 'which would, of course, etc'. Their autocorrect thingy actually rendered my post slightly nonsensical. Annoying.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

But what I wanted to write, admittedly sans commas, was 'which would, of course, etc'. Their autocorrect thingy actually rendered my post slightly nonsensical. Annoying.

Maybe the grammar nazis are being a bit over zealous. Perhaps they were indoctrinated at an early age by Wiggle?
    Wiggle youth?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Just write: which, of course, would....
  • Just write: which, of course, would....

That would, of course, work :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Girasole translates literally to 'turnsun', which is indeed Italian for sunflower. The word is probably a slight bastardisation of 'gira al sole' which is 'turns to the sun'. I would of written that earlier had I looked at this thread sooner.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I would of written that earlier had I looked at this thread sooner.

Huh? How come that works for you and not for me?

Would of

*Hits preview button*

Grrrrr
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I would of written that earlier had I looked at this thread sooner.

Huh? How come that works for you and not for me?

would have

*Hits preview button*

Grrrrr

I would of done it sooner if I'd known it was an issue. :wink: