BBC Health: lifestyle v's cancer

2»

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Fair point Stone Glider about those of us who participate in sporting activity putting as much call on Emergency services at times as those who Veg on their couches.

The most " Dangerous " thing I do is Ski off Piste and believe me the insurance I take out, its cost and its cover is probably equal to the amount of NI I pay every year.

A lot of mates just rely on their NHS Form 11' s when sking in the EU, Like to see what chance they have of a Helicopter lift in the French Alps now that Camerons stuck two fingers up at Sarkozy.

Most sportsman especially when they get to competitive level are affiliated to national bodies which provide liability cover, touch wood never had to call on it yet.

Thats me off in an ambulance tomorrow morning during Veterans football :(
  • tim wand wrote:
    Fair point Stone Glider about those of us who participate in sporting activity putting as much call on Emergency services at times as those who Veg on their couches.

The most " Dangerous " thing I do is Ski off Piste and believe me the insurance I take out, its cost and its cover is probably equal to the amount of NI I pay every year.

A lot of mates just rely on their NHS Form 11' s when sking in the EU, Like to see what chance they have of a Helicopter lift in the French Alps now that Camerons stuck two fingers up at Sarkozy.

Most sportsman especially when they get to competitive level are affiliated to national bodies which provide liability cover, touch wood never had to call on it yet.

Thats me off in an ambulance tomorrow morning during Veterans football :(

I think you're wrong. I would bet statisically the most dangerous thing you do is drive your car.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • tim_wand
    Frank the Tank you seen me drive? Luckily I commute a lot by bike.

When I was at Uni I used to commute from the University of East London Campas in Barking to Paddington every Friday Night to meet the girlfriend off the train from Ascot.

That was like death race 2000 still preferable to sitting on the district line though.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    tim wand wrote:

A lot of mates just rely on their NHS Form 11' s when sking in the EU, Like to see what chance they have of a Helicopter lift in the French Alps now that Camerons stuck two fingers up at Sarkozy.:(

What utter b0llox if you'll excuse the phrase.
    I lived in the Alps from October to May for 10 years teaching skiing, leading groups off piste, ski touring and racing slalom and GS.
    Carte Neige will cover you for an entire season, repatriate you, Helivac you from off piste etc etc and costs around £50 per year for annual cover. Indeed if you race you have to have cover in the courses, this increases the same premium to around £70. as soon as you show the pisteurs (medics) the card on the slopes all is good.
    Statistically you are more at risk driving or crossing the road.
    Peter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    We may be straying into the labyrinth that is mental illness. Many of the ills you have described could be traced back to depression, et al. You do have a neat solution, unfortunately it seems we have an untidy problem which might not fit.

I don't think you could actually implement a tax on people over a certain BMI or whatever but it may be possible to implement higher tax rates on "unhealthy" foods (which would need to be defined). There are already higher taxes on alcohol and tobacco, so why not fatty food? In addition to this, sports and gym membership etc could be tax free or have reduced tax levied on them. This would not penalise those with mental illness and in fact evidence shows that mental illnesses can be relieved by better diet, so encouraging those with mental illnesses to eat more healthily and take exercise may again reduce the strain on the NHS
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tim_wand
    DF 33 . Your knowledge and experience is far greater than mine. I wish my work would allow for me to spend a whole season in the Alps for 10 years in succession. And I truly wish I was that good a skier to make a living from it.

Chapeau to you and thanks for the advice, I m sure professionals and those guided by them are at no more risk sking off piste than those of us who commute by bike or drive by car, I m just saying my insurance company doesnt view it that way when I look for cover.

I ll look into the options you mentioned, are they dependent on experience?
  • We may be straying into the labyrinth that is mental illness. Many of the ills you have described could be traced back to depression, et al. You do have a neat solution, unfortunately it seems we have an untidy problem which might not fit.

I don't think you could actually implement a tax on people over a certain BMI or whatever but it may be possible to implement higher tax rates on "unhealthy" foods (which would need to be defined). There are already higher taxes on alcohol and tobacco, so why not fatty food? In addition to this, sports and gym membership etc could be tax free or have reduced tax levied on them. This would not penalise those with mental illness and in fact evidence shows that mental illnesses can be relieved by better diet, so encouraging those with mental illnesses to eat more healthily and take exercise may again reduce the strain on the NHS

FFS, are we not taxed enough as it is? Most of us enjoy a bit of pork pie or scotch egg, why should butchers/farmshops be penalised for producing quality products. I would imagine most of us on here lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle but lets not get too anal and self-rightious. A healthier nation should be achieved through education not taxation of foodstuffs.
    Tail end Charlie

• Remember all that fuss about the Danes 'tother week? They have introduced some sort of 'Fat Tax' and have been roundly abused for their pains. The general thrust of the criticism seemed to be that sugar not fat, was the wicked & evil substance which was causing all the trouble. No one knows anything.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think all in all life is too short to deny yourself any pleasures. Stress is the big factor, i believe, in most peoples illnesses: and its stress that all too often makes us miss the important and beautiful people who pass through our lives. Eat drink and be merry.

You know what mate? I love your witty one-liners and I often laugh at your contributions. And this post - from the other end of the spectrum - is not far off spot on.

I have been stressed at work and worrying about project outcomes etc and my health suffered as a result. Markedly so. Then I worried about my symptoms, which became "worse" and then I worried some more... Not until that particular stage in my career came to an end and the Dr gave me the all clears from tests etc and told me not to worry did I realise what the deal had been. Yes we all need to look after ourselves, but part of that that includes knowing how to moderate. Do things which make you happy (if that includes having a pint, so be it) in moderation and appreciate/embrace the people around you. And you won't go too far wrong.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I think all in all life is too short to deny yourself any pleasures. Stress is the big factor, i believe, in most peoples illnesses: and its stress that all too often makes us miss the important and beautiful people who pass through our lives. Eat drink and be merry.

You know what mate? I love your witty one-liners and I often laugh at your contributions. And this post - from the other end of the spectrum - is not far off spot on.

I have been stressed at work and worrying about project outcomes etc and my health suffered as a result. Markedly so. Then I worried about my symptoms, which became "worse" and then I worried some more... Not until that particular stage in my career came to an end and the Dr gave me the all clears from tests etc and told me not to worry did I realise what the deal had been. Yes we all need to look after ourselves, but part of that that includes knowing how to moderate. Do things which make you happy (if that includes having a pint, so be it) in moderation and appreciate/embrace the people around you. And you won't go too far wrong.
    That hits the nail on the head.
    The only "rider" I would put is, some people seem to be born worriers (so to speak) and will be more susceptible to suffering with their nerves.
    Tail end Charlie

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

That hits the nail on the head.
    The only "rider" I would put is, some people seem to be born worriers (so to speak) and will be more susceptible to suffering with their nerves.

I am a born worrier. It's slightly bizarre because at the same time, I have a tendency to be positive where things concern other people. I constantly tell my girlfriend "don't worry, it'll all work out" or "don't worry, you're reading too much into it", yet at the same time I fail to practise what I preach! :D

I'm slowly coming around, but it's taking time.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/