Hope Mono M4 Bleed issue

physiosteve
physiosteve Posts: 194
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got some Mono M4 brakes and tried to bleed them myself with no prev experience of this. The front one seamed to worked fine, though have yet to test it outside. But got an issue with rear, lost a fair bit of fluid out of it when calliper dropped out, got rid of old fliud out of resevoir with a rag and filled with new fluid but when I pump brake the fluid isn't goin down. As per instructions I'm opening valve 1/4 turn, slowly pulling break lever, locking off valve letting lever go and repeating, same as i did for front brake. Lever feels v floppy too and doesnt seam to be driving fluid in. Any ideas...?
Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have an air lock.

Keep at it.

I guess you mean piston fell out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • is a lot easier with the M4 to push the fluid up from the caliper using a syringe and a bit of flexi tubing! otherwise you'll be at it for a while with the crack the nipple, lever in, tighten nipple, release lever, refil route! tried it that way before! took an Age! just make sure your pistons are in flush and find something to push in to hold them there,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    is a lot easier with the M4 to push the fluid up from the caliper using a syringe and a bit of flexi tubing! otherwise you'll be at it for a while with the crack the nipple, lever in, tighten nipple, release lever, refil route! tried it that way before! took an Age! just make sure your pistons are in flush and find something to push in to hold them there,

I had mono minis on an old bike and like you say it does take a while. As for something to push against whent the pads are out i found a stack of 2p coins did the job held inplace with some electrical tape.