layering up

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited December 2011 in MTB general
hi all just wonderd whats best for layering up ive been using old football shirts but whats best as a middle layer
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    a wicking base layer
    depending how cold it is
    a long sleeve wicking jersey
    if cold a jumper type top
    then windproof sofshell

if it not to cold then
    base layer and windproof.

i always carry a waterproof coat to and a jumper in my pack.....
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have a 4 layer system.

Full length Bib tights
    On top of that a Merino wool base layer
    on top of that a jersey or football shirt
    windproof jacket.

Usually its just the merino wool base layer and a jersey. If its really cold the fully length bib tights come out and I always have the windproof as backup in the bag. Usually keeps me more than toasty in all conditions as long as I'm peddling.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use my ski tops/layers. Poly stuff and breathable. Optional shell top. If it's stupidly cold, two layers.

No girly tights/bibs. Don't get the point.

Don't use cotton. Soaks sweat which won't dry and remains cold.
  • jairaj
    deadkenny wrote:

do your legs not feel the cold?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I find smearing lard all over my body helps.
    Oops - wrong forum.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jairaj wrote:
    Not much. Though I wear knee pads these days on most rides, winter or summer, which covers the top of the shin.

Plus though I was born and grew up in Devon, I have northern blood in my ancestry so I put it down to that too.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    deadkenny wrote:

Warmth :wink::lol:

I really feel the cold, so ride in a thermal base layer, merino t-shirt, and a lightweight windproof fleece over the top with leggings. I actually don't do bib tights / shorts - i'm always amazed that they sell any to female MTBers as it's impossible to have a pee without stripping off, which is the last thing you want to do when it's freezing cold :shock:

But that's probably too much information :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    jairaj wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

to be honest the only thing i find suffers when it's cold cold cold are my hands even with winter gloves on.. maybe my feet to.....
  • jairaj
    Agreed its not very often I wear bib tights when riding off road and never when I have knee pads.

But I will occasionally wear the tights if on a night ride and temperatures are around or below zero.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    off roading just generally a base layer and maybe a jacket as it doesn't get that cold. Commuting, a base layer (merino in the middle of winter) bib tights, a jersey in mid winter and a jacket, plus winter gloves.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • im thinking of investing in a pair of cycling tights for the odd night ride and or commute to workas leg warmers dont seem to do the job this time of year
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • dependent on how seriously cold it's gonna be!

compression base layer
    sports polo/crew neck
    waterproof jacket (windproof and waterproof, and as it's gore-tex paclite it's light as a feather, but not mega warm).

So if it gets cold i'll throw a sports specific roll/crew neck on as well.

oh and a pair of 'cycling tight,leg warmer' things.. Just to stop my knees ceasing up!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Thin layers... base either a short sleeve 100gm merino with a long sleeve ski vest on top, or two layers of thin ski vests, all topped with a shell jacket. If is is brutally cold I might use a polartec 100 jersey as a mid layer, but then that's my usual ski attire good for -30c so on any climb I'd be overheating. Just like with skiing you want lots of thin layers, with nothing bulky and nothing that restricts movement or circulation.

I use 3/4 shorts in the cold, and sealskinz mid thermal socks - and my winter glove outers with some thin liners. A buff under my lid and a buff for my neck and I'm good to go!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building