Bash guard

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited December 2011 in MTB general
How many of you guys use a bash guard and are they worth it? I am getting a new bike soon and looking at removing the large chainring and putting a bash guard on as the times i use the large ring is limited on xc trails etc, do you think its worth the removal.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on the bike and the use.

But my DH bike does not have one it has a chain guide. But My Freeride/AM bike does.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My short travel XC FS has one, but only really because I saw a Kona one cheap on Ebay and had to have it. Hardly ever used the big ring so swapped them.
    It makes me look hardcore, even if I ride like a pussy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Its mainly trails and enuros i will be doing but as cooldad has said i also never use the big ring so might go down the bash guard route. I need anything to help me look hardcore as i also ride like a pussy. lol
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Its mainly trails and enuros i will be doing but as cooldad has said i also never use the big ring so might go down the bash guard route. I need anything to help me look hardcore as i also ride like a pussy. lol
    why add weight then? you can get light weight guides (not as strong as a bash) that will help keep the chain on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    No point unless you ride downhill IMO as on a trail/XC bike, the BB won't be low enough for the chainring to take many hits, and the trail won't be that gnarly.

I use an MRP guide with a taco bash on my bike that i use for everything from XC to downhill, and that's not seen a great deal of abuse.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    It's my one piece of stupidity on my bike. Everybody should have something pointless.
    Often it's the rider.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I went with the bash on the GT after not using the big ring at all.

Yeah I could have kept the big ring but it looks cool. Or more like makes me look like an idiot. I reckon it makes me go faster ;)

Anyway, a bit neater than the bashed up exposed big ring. The big ring was bigger also so grounded more often.

Now shifted stuff over to the 456 build and went 1x at the front but rather than get a new crankset, just used the same set, binned the granny and kept the bash which acts as a chain stop on that side (and have a Jump Stop the other side).
  • Well that sold it for me, i may not need it for my riding but i dont use the big ring and the bash guard looks cool and yes that may be vain but bollocks people might think i know how to ride lol
  • cooldad
    That's the spirit. When DK and I hit the trails, women faint, men wail, and sheep cower.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I am with you mate
  • jallll
    jallll Posts: 31
    hi, i only have the big ring on the 29er full rigid bike, on another two 29er i have removed it and changed for a bbg bash, cheap and light
    salu2
  • i run a bash on mine on the basis that i Never used big ring except for Grinding into tree's that had fallen over the tracks i ride! haha! fancied an alloy bash but went with clear plastic ones as they were Cheap on ebay!! am not overly bothered about the weight difference between the two styles as i'm no whippet! lol!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Never used the big ring on my am bike so went double and bash and haven't looked back. Also remember if you fit a bash ring is that it takes away the chance of being impaled on the rings.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Thanks Guys think i am going to put one on.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Unless you really need the big ring, best to get rid of it. So much better not clipping rocks, logs etc.
    Oh and you dont need to tuck your laces away save them getting hooked up on the ring..
  • I replaced my dreadful Truvativ 5D chainset earlier this year with an SLX double+bash set-up.
    it has a 36T 'middle' ring so slightly bigger than the usual 32T, I think i'm only missing the top 2/3 gears that a 42T ring would give me, and am a lot happier with the bashguard, as have a couple of digs in my calf off the big ring, and had caught it one or twice on rocks, etc.
    I never really used the 42T ring, don't miss it, and would do the same again if I bought another bike for mostly off-road use.
    I'd recommend doing it, and as others have said, it does make you look hardcore ;o)
  • I'm glad I got a decent bash with a 36T big ring on a double setup. I'm rocking a Straitline one and it's damn tough but not too weighty. Perfect for when there are blown down trees that you've got to ride over. It doesn't really matter if the tree is too high because the bash will sort it out or when riding up other things. The point about not having to tuck in the laces is a good one too. I wouldn't be without mine
  • coynie
    coynie Posts: 112
    cooldad wrote:
    It's my one piece of stupidity on my bike. Everybody should have something pointless.
    Often it's the rider.
    I am with you pal
    Malt 1
    Malt 4
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    I rarely used my 42T outer ring and so stuck a bash ring on (black alloy FSA 34T), mainly because I didn't like a large bit of metal with very pointy teeth spinning away all the time...I have noticed a few chips and scuffs on it, so it's been doing its job. Only thing is I'm now thinking about going up a few teeth on my middle ring, so will need a new bash as well. Seems all the extra pedalling with a smaller front ring has improved my fitness!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot