Dentists and Price

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Got a patient estimate through the post today for a crown E-MAX for my UR1 (Upper Right 1. which has been replaced once after breaking it as a kid the nice round figure was £600 quid.
Is this a bargain or not and is it an indication that the dentists that are doing sportives etc. are raising the price of bike parts with their over-inflated incomes. I mast say that my current dentist is by far the best I have ever experienced, it only goes to show me how poor most of them in the past have been. Some of them I wouldn’t trust putting up a shelf! And the manners, well just awful, but this guy is such a gentleman.
Never mind, I must just find time to do the lottery again of course. :mrgreen:

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Feck me! An 'estimate' from a dentist! £600 for ONE tooth!

I think it sounds pricey, but I've never had this kind of work done.
  • If you go on the idea that the work done will last for life and be an ongoing asset, then I'd say it's worth paying for.

Many people would pay that for a few day's traveling to experience the Etape, a transitory experience by comparison.
  • Ron Stuart
    It may not have to last to long as I am 61 next birthday however it would be my third crown because as you get older the gum does recede.

Never done the Etape because you need to be a dentist to afford it.

No shan't bother with the crown because you can get a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbons for that price and I look crap these days anyway.

This one made me smile (not a good idea if your crown starts below your gum) I'll try this on you folk and it's on a questionnaire at my Dentists, it read.... How many marks out of ten would you give for your smile? :D

Well :?:
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Pair of pliers! pull them out!

;-)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    it's way over the nhs rate, but nothing unusual about that...

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth ... ments.aspx says up to 204, but of course you have to find a dentist who'll do it on the nhs

http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/crowns.html says 300-1100, so 600 seems in line

fwiw i had to have two done last year, cost 1400 total
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Mine charges £375 which I thought was a lot until I read this thread.
  • I had 8 Done in one go (that was no fun, i tell thee) and i paid on finance worth around £3300 with a small discount. Nothing at the dentist is cheap these days, and i spend half my life there...
  • Ron Stuart
    We are constantly bombarded in the media by goods that are far from needed. Why when it comes to looking after our health is there such a lack of proper guidance out there as to how we can avoid apart from regular check-ups the dentist's chair and worst of all their extortionate bills?
  • APIII
    My boss at work has an apartment in Turkey and he gets plenty of people booking it for a week to take advantage of the cheaper dental work out there. I had images of some backstreet butcher, but he's had work done himself to a high standard in his opinion. I believe he said it was about £80 for a crown, so you can imagine the savings if you need a lot of work done.
  • Ron Stuart
    APIII wrote:
    My boss at work has an apartment in Turkey and he gets plenty of people booking it for a week to take advantage of the cheaper dental work out there. I had images of some backstreet butcher, but he's had work done himself to a high standard in his opinion. I believe he said it was about £80 for a crown, so you can imagine the savings if you need a lot of work done.

You might just be on to something here mate. I have had a multitude of nationalities in this country practicing as dentists so why not cut the cost, have a holiday and go there. With a crown though they have to make the crown to suit so there would be a delay and maybe two visits, one for 1hr to assess the situation and take some measurements and maybe x-ray. Next appointment half an hr to fit new crown, normally takes about a week for lab to make new crown. So fortnights holiday it maybe possible.
    I have a good Portuguese ride buddy in the Algarve who is a dental technician, I'm there again in February for the Tour of the Algarve (Wiggins also!) and I might just have a word about the cost of a new crown. :wink:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    yeah, my gf had fillings, plus two implants, done in india

we went on hols there twice, first trip they did most of the work, then it takes months for the implants to bond, second trip finished the job

it was all very clean and high-tech

overall cost was more than doing it in uk, but this way we also had two warm sunny holidays

fwiw my dentist in uk says a lot of the work i needed doing was due to the practice of drill and fill for even the first hint of damage that dentists followed in the past, but these days dentists *should* know that some minor/early damage can be halted or even repaired, and do that instead of geting out the drill
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Ron Stuart
    Bit like the bankers really first we of a certain age were 'sponsored by our tax payer money' to have dentist "drill and fill" perfectly good or repairable teeth and now we pay all over again because this work only has a certain lifespan. In other words we pay three times or more once in our taxes for the dentist to "drill and fill" second to pay for the drill and fill in the first place then again and again for repairs till finally the current dentists run out of tooth to fill then charge us for an extraction then again for implants/crowns whatever.
    Like bankers it's was a form of public looting.
  • APIII
    The process is so slick they send a private car to collect you from the hotel pool and drop you off, all included in the price
  • Ron Stuart
    APIII wrote:
    The process is so slick they send a private car to collect you from the hotel pool and drop you off, all included in the price

Is this the patient or the dentist getting the treatment :?:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Is this Goodwin's law in action? Where every rant eventually ends up with a comparison to bankers, no matter how tenuous? :wink:
  • Nuggs wrote:
    Is this Goodwin's law in action? Where every rant eventually ends up with a comparison to bankers, no matter how tenuous? :wink:

I blame the Nazi's.