Etape Act 2 advice needed

skippa76
skippa76 Posts: 284
Hi there,

I have signed up to do the Etape D'Tour Act 2 from Pau to Bagneres de Luchon on 14th July.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice regarding the logistics for doing the event. I haven't booked it through a tour operator so I am now trying to figure out:

a. How to get there? Looks like a double flight with a change in Paris at the moment.
b. Where to stay? Most accommodate runs from Saturday to Saturday, I only need a few days. Any recommendations on a hotel in Pau?
c. If i stay in Pau how will I get back with my bike at the end of the race? Do they run shuttle buses back to the start
d. If I stay anywhere other than Pau how will I get to the start on the morning of the 14th?

Anyone with experience of doing this off their own back in the past please share your knowledge :-)

Comments

• a. Ryanair fly to Biarritz and Lourdes, fly to either and hire a car, you'll need one to get back from Bagneres with your bike.
    b. It's Bastille day on the Saturday and then the tour is coming to town, book the nearest to Pau you can ASAP, try booking.com
    c. There are shuttles the day before, you take your car and leave it at Bagneres and get the shuttle back to Pau.
    d. By bike, an extra few km will get you nicely warmed up!
  • skippa76
    skippa76 Posts: 284
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of flying to Toulouse (good flights from Bristol via EasyJet). I have also managed to find a place in Bagneres De Luchon for 4 days from the Thursday to Sunday. I'll look to hire a car and get my wife to drop me and my bike off in Pau on the morning of the 14th. Then it's a simple matter of cycling back to Bagneres via some nice mountain passes :D
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    You're doing the same as me - almost. We're camping in Bagneres for the week before the Etape - driving over from the Alps after the Marmotte. Found a Logis (10k from the centre) just outside Pau to stay in on the Friday night - all the hotel rooms in Pau went amazingly quickly after the Etape opened. You're going to have to get up VERY early to drive to Pau from Bagneres on the morning of the Etape - if I understand your intentions correctly.
  • I did the Etape in 2010 which was Pau to Col du T (same as stg #17 TDF that year)
    Flew from London to Pau
    Stayed in Pau 1 night then Tarbes 3 nights
    All organised by Sports Tours International and did the ride as part of MS charity. I appreciate you are doing it off your own organisation, can not recal the place I stayed in Pau (was very central). Tarbes I stayed at 'Chanmier du Bois' very nice 3* place with a pool too :D. Only 35 mins from Pau
    I am sure that there are coach and bike transfer options run back to the start i.e Pau by the organiser Mondevelo ??

Was thinking of giving it a go again next year
    Are there spaces left ?