Transporting Bikes

nigelsmith
nigelsmith Posts: 16
Has anyone any experience of transporting bike boxes by van/lorry. If so who have you used and how many bike boxes can a Luton box van take - I reckon by the dimensions of the van around 40 but this sounds a lot.

thanks

Comments

• uk mail . they are very reasonable . you need an account or minimum order £50 (payable by cheque) . i sent four 19 inch low profile jaguar XJR tyres , from bristol to far north scotland . parcel force wanted £128 and in 2 separate packages . UK MAIL £49 one package .also UK MAIL took 24 hrs P.F we 48 hrs.

hope that helps .

40 in a luton sounds unfeasabable . as bike boxes are huge 5foot by 4 foot by 1 foot at a guess. some couriers go by weight and some by size .

cheers Tim
    Britannia waives the rules
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How far are the bikes going ? Would they need to be in bike bags ? Why not let them travel built up and get some industrial bubble wrap round each one ?

Also if you're transporting 40 bikes or so - make sure you're insured. That could well be 50k worth of bike, maybe more.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I like the bubble wrap suggestion - it will give you something to pop if you get stuck in traffic! Seriously though - do you own forty bikes :shock: I think that is pushing it a bit, I mean I get grief from the Mrs for owning five!

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    cougie wrote:
    Also if you're transporting 40 bikes or so - make sure you're insured. That could well be 50k worth of bike, maybe more.

At £2k+ it's more like £100k. Once went on a trip to the Alps and figured that of the 10 riders in the group we had close to that amount in bikes/components and accessories. Even a 'low-end' bike now seems to magically push £2k with a decent groupset/wheels
    M.Rushton
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I've sold a mountain bike and used a courier off Ebay to send. 20hrs from Wirral to Cornwall was very impressive service - collected 12 noon and delivered 8am the following morning. Cost £18 so imho an absolute bargain
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    mrushton wrote:
    cougie wrote:

At £2k+ it's more like £100k. Once went on a trip to the Alps and figured that of the 10 riders in the group we had close to that amount in bikes/components and accessories. Even a 'low-end' bike now seems to magically push £2k with a decent groupset/wheels

I CAN do maths..... Just depends who is riding - if you're talking London to Brighton then they're not going to be that many 2k bikes. I'd be surprised if riders having 2.5K machines let their beloved go in a van with a lot of others. :-)