Designer furniture for the discerning Velophile

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,372
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Spotted this over a colleague's shoulder. Personally, I think the coat hooks work bette than the chairs. Maybe he could do lugged versions for those of us of a more fogeyish disposition.

http://www.lipsmax.net/

Oh, and no, they would look rubbish in carbon fibre. :P
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Nice chairs (although the association with bikes is very subtle). The pricing is hilarious though. I need a new set of dining chairs, bargain at only €3,000!
  • I'll certainly have Frida if she's available.
  • rjsterry
    The pricing (~£850) is comparable (just about) with a bespoke hand-built steel frame, and they are hand-built to order, so the pricing isn't as daft as it seems. Decent furniture is never cheap. Not too keen on the perforated leather, but the fillet brazing looks nice (no TIG welding here).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    But its not a bespoke frame - its a chair! No need for lightweight tubing really, they could use the stuff my Ridgeback is made from for all the difference it would make to a chair. Also no real need to be "bespoke", there's a differnece between made to order and made to measure. Probably just shows the comparative value I place on bikes and furniture...
  • rjsterry
    BigMat wrote:
    But its not a bespoke frame - its a chair! No need for lightweight tubing really, they could use the stuff my Ridgeback is made from for all the difference it would make to a chair. Also no real need to be "bespoke", there's a differnece between made to order and made to measure. Probably just shows the comparative value I place on bikes and furniture...

This more your style then? :P

Plastic_Chair.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    No, really, the pricing is ludicrous. You either have to be gullible or already have bought absolutely everything commercially available.
  • rjsterry
    No, really, the pricing is ludicrous. You either have to be gullible or already have bought absolutely everything commercially available.
    :roll: I'm not suggesting £850 for an arm chair is cheap, but for comparison, a Condor Classico Pista frameset is £900, and that's not made to order or even a complete bike. For another comparison here are some other armchairs from a popular department store.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's not reasonable to compare the price of the chairs to a frame. They aren't chairs anyway.

Their purpose is purely as discussion pieces strategically placed around your strip wood floored and exposed brick warehouse conversion flat. You are rich yet aesthetically quirky, you appreciate heritage and craftsmanship and by extension of the cycling connection you are physically fit and bang like a belt fed mortar.

Price is almost immaterial.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    SimonAH wrote:
    It's not reasonable to compare the price of the chairs to a frame. They aren't chairs anyway.

Their purpose is purely as discussion pieces strategically placed around your strip wood floored and exposed brick warehouse conversion flat. You are rich yet aesthetically quirky, you appreciate heritage and craftsmanship and by extension of the cycling connection you are physically fit and bang like a belt fed mortar.

Price is almost immaterial.

In terms of fabrication, I'd say they're very comparable, but in terms of retail you're spot on.

Now, how do I project the same image without shelling out £850? :? :(
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So it's just me who thinks they look cheap and sh1t then......

:oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    bails87 wrote:
    So it's just me who thinks they look cheap and sh1t then......

:oops:

No - agree with you - just steel tubes painted to look like bike frames with plywood seats