Shimano SLX Gear Adjustment

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Chain keeps slipping but only in 1st gear. Any ideas how to fix it?

Cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Is the cassette worn in 1st gear (do you use it a lot) ?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • It was fine for the first 9 miles of my ride then started slipping after. The cassette isn't that worn.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first gear for 9 miles you wount have got far then.

which cog and which ring combo is the problem in?

big cog is 1 and small cog 9
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lol. Not 9 miles in 1st :P

It slips in 1,10,19 gear. My bike has 9x3. Could I have sheared a rear tooth off riding?
  • Have you replaced the chain without replacing the rear cassette?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lol. Not 9 miles in 1st :P

It slips in 1,10,19 gear. My bike has 9x3. Could I have sheared a rear tooth off riding?

have a look FFS but one tooth will make no difference.

you should not use big and big combo as it put excesive strain on the chain.

check it is the chain slipping and not the freebody.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well...I changed the cassette from one wheel to another. But it is still the same 9 speed cassette on the same bike do I don't know. Thanks for the help. Will investigate further.
  • Well...I changed the cassette from one wheel to another. But it is still the same 9 speed cassette on the same bike do I don't know. Thanks for the help. Will investigate further.

I usually re-index my gears when swapping a back wheel or cassette over.
    You'll probably find you need to get the rear deralliuer re-indexed. There are tutorials on this simple task on YouTube.
    If you're not up to it, your local bike shop can do it for under £10.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends what it's doing when slipping. Is it jumping up/down a gear or trying to get into the next gear which can seem like it's slipping. You could adjust the barrel shifter a quarter turn one way or the other and see if it still slips. It could just be slightly out or cable stretched. Especially if fairly new. Don't touch the H or L screws.

Indexing - it's either simple or a nightmare. Takes a bit of getting your head round it and then suddenly you realise it's actually really simple once you understand the logic of it. I spent ages not really knowing what I was doing and it seemed a nightmare. Though it's surprising just how many people will give you bad advice, including bike shops.

Cassette not done up tight enough is another possibility and the cog is rotating.