Which android cycling app?

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Just switched to an android phone and was looking for a decent cycling app to track rides. On my iPhone using cycling meter you could start the ride using the remote control on the headphones. The apps ive seen on the android market don't seem to have this feature. Does anyone know of one where you can start it using the remote on the headphones?

CHeers
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    I used to use the cardio trainer. I found this very helpful
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I've tried a few different apps for logging my bike rides and runs. I used to use cardio trainer, but for some reason it never seemed to let me connect to the satellites quickly, then I tried Endomondo, but I'm not a massive fan of that one, it's not that it's a bad app, but there are bits I liked from Cardio Trainer that aren't on Endomondo that make it a bit of a step down in my eyes.
    Finally I'm currently using Strava, seems to be great with satellite pick up and has similar features to cardio trainer without the glitchy things that put me off it in the first place.

I know people also use My tracks which is ok but a little more basic than the others in my opinion.

If I were you I'd download a couple and see what format you like best :)
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I've used CardioTrainer and Endomondo when I used to go running and both have cycling modes too. You can get an add-on to CardioTrainer which let's you race against a 'ghost' racer to spur you on.

I like the Endomondo uploads to the Endomondo website and you can login and see the maps of previous rides/runs.
  • It's got to be Strava purely for the competition element!
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • can you start any of these remotely. i hate having to fumble around trying to find my phone when i've stopped and then having to put in the password to unlock it. Before you know it you added another 5 minutes onto the phone. At least when you use the in line remote on your headphones you don't have that problem.
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Have a look at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16054945

Endomondo Pro discounted to 10p for 10 days.

I've only used the free version of Endomondo so far. It's OK. Google's 'My Tracks' is OK too. Both of these mixed together would be great.

The free version of 'MapMyRide' is my fav so far. I'm more into mapping, sharing and audio feedback than training apps. I'll try the Pro version of Endomondo to see what extras it has.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    ive just started using strava,very inpresed :D
  • Strava everytime, not sure about the headphone start/stop though.
  • I've been using Endomondo Pro for Android for a while now and it's brilliant! I have a handlebar bracket for my phone and a chest-strap heart-rate monitor that Endomondo picks up. The whole setup works really well with all sorts of statistics shown after every ride (route/map, heart-rate, elevation, speed, etc).
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    rumbataz wrote:
    I've been using Endomondo Pro for Android for a while now and it's brilliant! I have a handlebar bracket for my phone and a chest-strap heart-rate monitor that Endomondo picks up. The whole setup works really well with all sorts of statistics shown after every ride (route/map, heart-rate, elevation, speed, etc).

What Chest strap heart rate monitor do you use? Got a link please?
  • Dashik wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:
    I've been using Endomondo Pro for Android for a while now and it's brilliant! I have a handlebar bracket for my phone and a chest-strap heart-rate monitor that Endomondo picks up. The whole setup works really well with all sorts of statistics shown after every ride (route/map, heart-rate, elevation, speed, etc).

What Chest strap heart rate monitor do you use? Got a link please?

Hi mate, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone (Andorid). The chest-strap HRM that I use is the Polar Wearlink+ with Bluetooth. It needs to be that specific one as it's Bluetooth 2.0. Polar do another one for iPhones based on Smart Bluetooth technology but that doesn't work with Android phones. You need the Polar Wearlink+ with Bluetooth chest-strap HRM.

Hope that helps!
  • Strava....

nuff said
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    rumbataz wrote:
    Hi mate, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone (Andorid). The chest-strap HRM that I use is the Polar Wearlink+ with Bluetooth. It needs to be that specific one as it's Bluetooth 2.0. Polar do another one for iPhones based on Smart Bluetooth technology but that doesn't work with Android phones. You need the Polar Wearlink+ with Bluetooth chest-strap HRM.

Hope that helps!

Hi :D I got the Polar HRM as you said and it arrived today. Worked perfectly with Endomondo on my HTC Desire :D

Thanks for the info :D
  • Dashik wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:

Hope that helps!

Hi :D I got the Polar HRM as you said and it arrived today. Worked perfectly with Endomondo on my HTC Desire :D

Thanks for the info :D

Nice one mate.
  • Just to stick my pennys worth in here and something that never crossed my mind (although obvious!) until recently as i'm torn between Endomondo and Strava. I just fire up both of them and let them run side by side, there is usually a small discrepency between them but who knows which one is accurate?! - It's always interesting to look at both results though. - Rumbataz - Good shout with the HRM, i'm gonna check one out