new frame

balchy88
balchy88 Posts: 108
edited December 2011 in MTB general
hi i am building a new bike and have just bought a 2010 kona abra cadabra frame brand new for £650, is this a good buy? also has anyone have any experiance with this bike? thanks ryan.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Only a good buy if its what you wanted, do you have all the parts to fit it?

Reviews have been mixed about the bike, but mostly good.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • balchy88
    ive got a 10sp slx groupset, currently bidding on some rockshox revelation 2012 rct3 150mm forks, and a few other parts from my old bike that will be upgraded when i can afford
  • 1mancity2
    Suppose to ride well and if you win the Revs you should have a good front end as well.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    You're asking if it was a good buy, AFTER buying it??
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • balchy88
    i was pretty set on this frame and it was half price on crc, just wanted opinions on it really as ive read some good reveiws but cant find many people that actually own the bike, should be an improvement from my 08 claude butler cape wrath lol
  • 1mancity2
    balchy88 wrote:
    i was pretty set on this frame and it was half price on crc, just wanted opinions on it really as ive read some good reveiws but cant find many people that actually own the bike, should be an improvement from my 08 claude butler cape wrath lol

Chalk and Cheese!
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    So what would you have done if we came on here and said it was crap?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • balchy88
    possibly send it back, was just looking for more info, i had my eye on a commencal meta for around the same price but heard they are prone to crack
  • balchy88
    the kona comes with lifetime warranty so that will put my mind at ease
  • 1mancity2
    You will only know if its any good once you build it and get it thrashed.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    i had a couple of Kona's (Kikapu Delux and Coiler Primo) loved them both. Not always viewed as cool bike but I loved them and did everything from Alpine downhills to drops and jumps.

Build it and enjoy it.
  • jallll
    jallll Posts: 31
    i think you have made a great buy, ther revs goes ok, i have used some from it and works greats, but now i have changed to marzocchi microti and its the second best fork i have used after a lyrik coil.....
  • balchy88
    just won brand new rockshox 2012 revelation 150mm rct3 dual air position with taperd tube and 15mm axle for £260 so happy :D , just need a wheelset now for around £200 been looking at superstar wheelsets http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=347 any good? or is there better sets for around £200?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Whilst out in the Alps, I saw four other people riding Ellsworth Moments, I shouted; 'Ellsworth!!' In my chaviest voice to hear them shout it back (much to my delight). My mate riding a Kona did the same thing to other Kona riders, no-one responded, one guy even raised his finger probably thinking he was taking this piss.

On this experience alone, you bought the wrong bike...
  • Quite simple people who buy Ellsworth know what they are buying, people who buy Kona don't always.