Live London Ambulance reporting

asquithea
asquithea Posts: 145
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Might be of interest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16030644

Mixture of cyclists being knocked off and car accidents.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Don't want to derail the thread so early but this made me lol
    0730:
    Debabani and James have already been called out to the scene of a collision between a car and a cyclist. The cyclist, who wasn't wearing a helmet, has a swollen and bruised ankle. James, the paramedic, says the cyclist was lucky to escape without suffering any head injuries.

The whole thing is like cycle watch, must be about 20-30% so far this morning.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    iPete wrote:
    Don't want to derail the thread so early but this made me lol
    0730:
    Debabani and James have already been called out to the scene of a collision between a car and a cyclist. The cyclist, who wasn't wearing a helmet, has a swollen and bruised ankle. James, the paramedic, says the cyclist was lucky to escape without suffering any head injuries.

The whole thing is like cycle watch, must be about 20-30% so far this morning.

if only he'd been wearing a helmet his ankle would have been fine. ;)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • 0730:
    I thought that paramedics were supposed to have at least a basic knowledge of anatomy. Head is at the other end from ankle.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    "a cyclist gave way so that she could cross, but a van behind didn't give way, hit the bike and the bike hit the pedestrian"

He failed to stop and hit the bike in front which meant he was driving too fast, too close, or not paying attention, nothing to do with giving way to the pedestrian on the crossing. That statement makes it sound like cyclist fault for giving way.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Looking at the info on the 'Did you know' / 'Dangerous Driving' page, does that mean that in fatal collisions where a bicycle was to blame, 35% had a criminal record?

Interesting stat, if that's correct!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    1038: Adrian Brown BBC News, in London Ambulance Central control room

I'm looking at the traffic cam from the control room. In Chiswick, a man is down on his face, with a motorbike on its side. A biker is bending over him and talking to him. Meanwhile, traffic is continuing to drive past within inches of the man's head. Unreal. A lady comes over and is giving assistance. Someone has put a red coat over the man. But the cars still haven't stopped, driving by at a rate. A lorry roars by within feet of the man's head. The control room asks for urgent police assistance. Still watching on the screen, I see a paramedic arrive. She uses her car to block the road so she can safely kneel down by the patient, but the cars are still driving around them - they're not stopping.

:shock:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im attempting to find the finchley accident on the map.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Sketchley wrote:
    "a cyclist gave way so that she could cross, but a van behind didn't give way, hit the bike and the bike hit the pedestrian"

He failed to stop and hit the bike in front which meant he was driving too fast, too close, or not paying attention, nothing to do with giving way to the pedestrian on the crossing. That statement makes it sound like cyclist fault for giving way.

I sort of read that as they where just shocked a cyclist gave way to someone crossing the road and didn't snake round them, rather than it being the cyclist fualt
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just found this on the BBC website. Interesting to follow for the rest of the day.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    iPete wrote:
    1038: Adrian Brown BBC News, in London Ambulance Central control room

I'm looking at the traffic cam from the control room. In Chiswick, a man is down on his face, with a motorbike on its side. A biker is bending over him and talking to him. Meanwhile, traffic is continuing to drive past within inches of the man's head. Unreal. A lady comes over and is giving assistance. Someone has put a red coat over the man. But the cars still haven't stopped, driving by at a rate. A lorry roars by within feet of the man's head. The control room asks for urgent police assistance. Still watching on the screen, I see a paramedic arrive. She uses her car to block the road so she can safely kneel down by the patient, but the cars are still driving around them - they're not stopping.

:shock:

A lady was knocked over outside our house during the Summer. I went out with blankets and someone called an ambulance. We couldn't move the lady and, until the police turned up and blocked the road, we faced the very real prospect of getting run over by the cars, 90% of which were being driven way too fast and too close. One guy even hooted us :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    1607:
    Mario and Pete Turns out the injured cyclist was knocked off his bike by a bus a few months ago. An ambulance has arrived and is now taking him to hospital. "Looks like he's got an open fracture or dislocation in his elbow," says Pete.

Crikey - what was I saying about London? I didn't think things were this bad - you're all heartless bastards :lol:

Re-posted from the duplicate thread
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Rolf F wrote:
    1607:
    Mario and Pete Turns out the injured cyclist was knocked off his bike by a bus a few months ago. An ambulance has arrived and is now taking him to hospital. "Looks like he's got an open fracture or dislocation in his elbow," says Pete.

Crikey - what was I saying about London? I didn't think things were this bad - you're all heartless bastards :lol:

Re-posted from the duplicate thread
    Or maybe the bloke's a liability. I was once giving a bloke directions and in the brief chat he said he had a new bike as the last one had gone under a bus. I rode with him for a bit as we were heading in the same direction and it struck me that it wouldn't be long before the new bike was under something, hopefully without him still being on it. He veered from one thoughtless manoeuvre to the next so seemlessly it was almost admirable. Thankfully our routes soon diverged.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I regularly stop at zebra crossings and have the car/van behind carry on. Often too close to me for comfort.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I regularly stop at zebra crossings and have the car/van behind carry on. Often too close to me for comfort.

To be honest I have more experience of other cyclists doing this. I see a ped waiting, start to slow down, wave them across, slow some more, slow some more, they're still just stood there, finally they make me stop completely, the other cyclist I hadn't seen (but obviously the ped had) sprints past and the ped finally crosses.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    pangolin wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

To be honest I have more experience of other cyclists doing this. I see a ped waiting, start to slow down, wave them across, slow some more, slow some more, they're still just stood there, finally they make me stop completely, the other cyclist I hadn't seen (but obviously the ped had) sprints past and the ped finally crosses.

F£$%ing cyclists, they should be licensed and pay road tax!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I watched a van RLJ through a pelican crossing yesterday. I'd crossed as the lights went amber, reached the pavement as they went red, and 6 or 7 seconds later, with the lights still red and the green man still showing the van just sailed straight through, having accelerated away from the left turn it'd made to join the road.

It's only outside a nursery, children's centre, church and[/] primary school, so I'm sure it's fine :roll: it is one I see routinely ignored though, not sure why.

Vans should be taxed and insured, that would put an end to it. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."