Front Full Road Mudguard to Sus. Forks - anyone done it?

Jenny Taylia
Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

Hope I picked the right section for this strange query? If not, Mods, do your magic will ya? :)

anyway . . . . . .

I'm taking my MTB to La France next year, for a spot of road-touring and I want to fix a "Full" mudguard, kind of road bike stylee, to my Rockshox Tora's lower leg brace, so as to minimise the bobbar thrown up, should the June weather be a little English over there.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone got any ideas (Other than "Get a road bike! :roll: ) or photos of their mounting jobs (Remember it's a family show! :shock: ) or is there a ready-made bracket available? etc etc

Any tips or hints gratefully received.

Messy Buckets

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We put a full guard on the lads Spesh, the arch (Suntour XCM) had a threaded hole and we used a rigid mudgurd with just the one mounting hanger (no stays).....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • We put a full guard on the lads Spesh, the arch (Suntour XCM) had a threaded hole and we used a rigid mudgurd with just the one mounting hanger (no stays).....

Simon

Hi Simon and fanx for your input.

unfortunately, the RS Toras don't have the threaded hole, or 'twould have been simples :wink:

the problem I have is that there is just nowhere to mount from / to.

I was toying with the idea of using the "Seat post fitting end" of one of the QR rear mudguards, to kind of lock a bracket to the forks' arch (Which seems to hold in a dummy run) though I would like to make a propperly shaped circular piece of wood, to mimic the contours of the arch and provide a better grip for the rear mudguard clamp - this may be a very tricky one! :shock:

I'm also toying with the idea of welding a washer at 90 degrees to a jubilee clip (Well 2 of them actually) and fitting these to the fork legs, so as to provide a fixing point for some mudguard stays, a-la-roadbike.

It's all a bit of a theory right now, hence my original request for anyone who has done it and may have a better idea.

If I don't hear anything and I get really bored of wrapping prezzies, I may try my idea and I'll post some pics in the "Bright ideas - not" section, just in case anyone else has silly ideas :wink::D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not a thing any one wants to do to a normal MTB fork.

I would be changing fork for the riding you say you will be doing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

I don't have another fork, I presume you're suggesting "Rigid", though my Toras are U-Turn, lockout - so they are almost rigid and have the useful U-turn bit for the hills. There will be about 150 miles of sandy forest tracks thrown in, so I'm gonna need / want some suspension.

I'm trying to make my one bike a jack-of-all, I guess and the cost of the whole trip has risen to well above what was "Sanctioned", so I'll have to stick with the forks I have and cobble something up . . . . . though I can't be the only one who has ever wanted to tour road & off-road on a MTB?

Am I? :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just use a downtube crud catcher!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    and a Neo Guard, or one of those Mucky Nutz Fender Benders (I think thats what there're called) :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

I don't have another fork, I presume you're suggesting "Rigid", though my Toras are U-Turn, lockout - so they are almost rigid and have the useful U-turn bit for the hills. There will be about 150 miles of sandy forest tracks thrown in, so I'm gonna need / want some suspension.

I'm trying to make my one bike a jack-of-all, I guess and the cost of the whole trip has risen to well above what was "Sanctioned", so I'll have to stick with the forks I have and cobble something up . . . . . though I can't be the only one who has ever wanted to tour road & off-road on a MTB?

Am I? :oops:

then just get a fender that mounts to the crown they work fine. are easy to remove when fun calls etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • then just get a fender that mounts to the crown they work fine. are easy to remove when fun calls etc.[/quote]

Got plenty of crown mount fenders but they still spray forwards & back and I guess out on a 10 day trip, once you get wet feet, they'll stay wet and I'll be les miserables. I want the extra protection of full mudguards.

I've even cobbled up crown mount fender extensions, made from QR rear guards but I still get covered, in bad weather :cry:

I guess I must just ride faster than you :wink::D:D:D:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: 8)
  • Just use a downtube crud catcher!

Fanx for your suggestion . . . .

Got one on my other bike. OK for a day out, (though on wet roads, you still get soaked) but not for 10 days.

I've tried all combinations, other than full guards and that's why I want to try and fit them. Nice and close to the tyre, huggind round the width and well hooked over the rear, with a splash-flap extension . . . . that's what I want
  • andy46 wrote:
    and a Neo Guard, or one of those Mucky Nutz Fender Benders (I think thats what there're called) :lol:

Fanx, man

I'd never seen the Fender Benders before. They look cool.

I ordered one for my favorite bike, to see what they do but for the long trip, I still want the full guards.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I've even cobbled up crown mount fender extensions, made from QR rear guards but I still get covered, in bad weather :cry:
    thats because rain etc comes from the sky, so no matter what guards you use, you get wet, cars are sometimes quite good at preventing this :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Simple solution is MTFU.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    thats because rain etc comes from the sky, so no matter what guards you use, you get wet, cars are sometimes quite good at preventing this :)

I think you're mis-understanding, I don't want the mudguards to come up and over me :roll: , just to cover the tyres :shock: but thanks for your very, very funny insight into your world of humour, it was extremely useful. :lol:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    chez_m356 wrote:

I think you're mis-understanding, I don't want the mudguards to come up and over me :roll: , just to cover the tyres :shock: but thanks for your very, very funny insight into your world of humour, it was extremely useful. :lol:
    i think your misunderstanding yourself,your talking about a road touring trip and you want the guards to stop your feet getting wet?,if there's that much water on the ground,it usually because it is or has been raining,your going to get wet regardless, or is the rain scared of you and falls around you instead of on you, like everyone else? :? think you would be better buying yourself a decent pair of overshoes instead :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    chez_m356 wrote:
    i think your misunderstanding yourself,your talking about a road touring trip and you want the guards to stop your feet getting wet?,if there's that much water on the ground,it usually because it is or has been raining,your going to get wet regardless, or is the rain scared of you and falls around you instead of on you, like everyone else? :? think you would be better buying yourself a decent pair of overshoes instead :)

Even if it is raining at the time your toes will get particularly wet and therefore very cold from the water thrown up from the front tyre. Long after it has stopped raining you still get water thrown up and wet toes.No "mtb" type guards will stop this. Saying MTFU is a great idea except even the most masculine of use won't be too happy after a whole day being wet if doing multi-day camping-touring.

I fitted some SKS Chromoplastic full guards to my Roxshox Sids using a large p-clip (40mm I think) and it worked fine on a tour (I now have a proper touring bike).
  • alfablue wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

Even if it is raining at the time your toes will get particularly wet and therefore very cold from the water thrown up from the front tyre. Long after it has stopped raining you still get water thrown up and wet toes.No "mtb" type guards will stop this. Saying MTFU is a great idea except even the most masculine of use won't be too happy after a whole day being wet if doing multi-day camping-touring.

I fitted some SKS Chromoplastic full guards to my Roxshox Sids using a large p-clip (40mm I think) and it worked fine on a tour (I now have a proper touring bike).

at last, thank you alfablue, for your input.

Smoke on that "Chez-comedyboy"

What were the "P-Clips" you used and do you have any photos of the installation? Sounds like you did just what I want to do . . . . I am not alone after all :P

What's MTFU please?

Thanks again
  • P clips are your friend here. They're strong enough to hold a pannier rack on so should be up to holding a mudguard.

Dunno how big you'd need, 35mm sounds about right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-1-3-8-Ru ... 53db3af4b0

A different size might even work for the crown mount.

Or, gaffer tape.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't have a pic of the installation, but this is a large p-clip (I think I bought a 35mm and a 40 and used the 35mm) here, and the mudguards were SKS p65's here. I had v-brakes so I fitted a p-clip to the right leg and bolted the left side to the unused disc brake mount.

SKS Chromoplastics are the toughest and best, a P55 may fit if you are using tyres under 2.1, otherwise get the p65.
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    How about these, are they what you're looking for?

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg
    Cheers Nathan.
  • If you're looking for them then you've got problems.

Fanx WTF is that all about, that's worse than thx, how hard is it to write t h a n k s....
  • P clips are your friend here. They're strong enough to hold a pannier rack on so should be up to holding a mudguard.

Dunno how big you'd need, 35mm sounds about right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-1-3-8-Ru ... 53db3af4b0

A different size might even work for the crown mount.

Or, gaffer tape.

Brilliant! :mrgreen:

That's the answer to the mudguard strut supports on the fork legs and the seat-stays (Saves welding washers to jubilee clips)

Though it's hard to guage the size needed for the odd shaped fork brace, I've ordered enough to do the lot.

You've saved me loads of time and grief and I thank you for introducing me to the humble P-Clip

Thanks
  • Jenny Taylia
    Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
    edited December 2011
    naffa wrote:
    How about these, are they what you're looking for?

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Thanks for the pix naffa
    They aren't what I'm looking for for this bike but I could use them on another project!

Where are they from please?

any details appreciated.
  • alfablue wrote:
    I don't have a pic of the installation, but this is a large p-clip (I think I bought a 35mm and a 40 and used the 35mm) here, and the mudguards were SKS p65's here. I had v-brakes so I fitted a p-clip to the right leg and bolted the left side to the unused disc brake mount.

SKS Chromoplastics are the toughest and best, a P55 may fit if you are using tyres under 2.1, otherwise get the p65.

Fanx again Alfablue.

I just got introduced to the P-Clip and you're right, it will answer all my issues.

I have already ordered my guards, though those that you suggest do look a bit betterer, though the horse has spilled the milk already :D

Ta muchly for your input
  • No worries. P clips are never "the best" answer... but they work.