Specialized tyres with Stans Crest Rims, update 01/02/12

sanchez89
sanchez89 Posts: 567
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

This is a question for all you crest rim owners, some of you hopefully have at least 1 specialized tyre!

Iv tried to fit my purgatory tyre onto 1 of my new crest rims. I found this task extremly difficult!

Once I'd finally levered the thing on, with a tube in, I couldn't get the bead of the tyre to seat up on the shoulder of the rim. I understand it may take high pressure for the bead to finally ping into place. But I got to 90psi on the pump and still no joy!!! Iv tried soapy water on the rim and tyre it makes me difference. Iv tried without a tube and the air just leaks out.

The guy in the office at work has a spesh captain tyre running on a roval rim, which apparently is fairly identical to a crest and he says his went on no problem with just a track pump.

Iv tried with a non tubless WTB tyre and that's seated fine after a hard sharp blast of air.

Anyone got any thoughts as to why the spesh tyre isn't having it?

Also crest owners, what have been the easiest tyres to use on the rim, both mount and inflate?
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:
M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

Comments

• anyone got any ideas? have contacted stans over in th US to see what they reacon.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Well i never got a reply from Stans direct.

so i contacted JustRidingAlong as they seem to deal with these rims alot.

After a few emails exchanged between myself and Jon @ JRA, i have come to the conclusion that these tyres are different in some way that wont allow them to seat onto the rims.

He suggested that Maxxis tyres are a pretty safe bet, normal folding beaded are pretty easy to go on,and the LUST models also fit but need more persuation. To be honest i was going to go for a set of ADvantages before i picked up the Spesh tyres. Now i will do that once the WTB's wear out or i get sick of them.
    Clank wrote:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Crests are very slightly bigger than older Stans rims, and Rovals etc. It makes inflating slightly easier unless you have a particularly tight tyre. Spesh generally aren't too tight though... 2011 Schwalbe ones really can be, as are most UST. Are you just using yellow tape on the rims? No rim strips?
  • Yeah just yellow tape and the olympic valve.

i really cant understand why they dont because its 2 different tyres. i could understand if they were both Eskar or Purgatory, but 1 of each and both not too work. very strange.

Maxxis tyres are looking like the way forward though.
    Clank wrote:
  • ok, just to have a little update on this thread, had to take the tyre off to get the rim trued up as i managed to OTB and buckle it abit.

so with no tyre on i thought i would have another go with the spesh tyres. the purgatory was once again a non starter.

but with the eskar i have managed to get it done.

but my question is, when i release the air fully from the tyre it pings back into the central channel after a few mins. but when inflated pings back out again. does this mean there is a tiny section of tyre that isnt fully locked into the bead of the rim????

on the WTB's i could remove all the air and they would stay locked in no problem. hard to remove them from the rim actually, needed a good hard pull.
    Clank wrote:
  • I have said Crest rims. I have not tried using Spesh tyres. My Nobby Nics were a nightmare and gave up on them.

I like Maxxis Tyres, and they go on fine. Have used kevlar Advantages, Aspens, and ardents, and wired Ignitors. These have all been fine. And like your WTBs, when I deflate, I have to push the tyre into the central panel. It doesn't flop in automatically.

When I re-inflate, they do ping back in to the bead (more a pop really). There is a feint line about a centimeter in from the rim edge. I check that is showing all round the tyre to ensure that the tyre is fully seated.
  • JezKetley wrote:
    I have said Crest rims. I have not tried using Spesh tyres. My Nobby Nics were a nightmare and gave up on them.

I like Maxxis Tyres, and they go on fine. Have used kevlar Advantages, Aspens, and ardents, and wired Ignitors. These have all been fine. And like your WTBs, when I deflate, I have to push the tyre into the central panel. It doesn't flop in automatically.

When I re-inflate, they do ping back in to the bead (more a pop really). There is a feint line about a centimeter in from the rim edge. I check that is showing all round the tyre to ensure that the tyre is fully seated.

cheers matey, good to know you've got some Maxxis tyres to work as they will be the next brand of tyres ill be using, whenever that time arrives.

and yeah it defo pops up onto that rim bead. first time it happened i thought id just been shot!
    Clank wrote: