Warranty Replacement - help

benno68
benno68 Posts: 1,689
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi folks

After my 2010 Cube Agree GTC Race frame failed a few months ago, I have just received a replacement "frame and Alu seatpost only", I sent photo's of the damaged frame to the dealer and still have the complete original bike in my posession.

The bike was bought from an online store, the only part that I have upgraded was the seatpost which cost me £120.

I'm wondering now if I'm have to pay for the rebuild, I don't have the tools to extract the BB insert or headset so I can't do the job myself, I'm also concerned as to whether Cube would honour any future warranty claim unless the bike had been build by an authorised dealer.

Also, the seatpost diameter is smaller that my 2010 model, I'm lumbered with a £120 aftermarket seatpost that now won't fit.

Finally, the 2012 model states "new tapered steerer", it looks the same as my 2010 model but I'm querying whether the old headset and fork will fit straight onto the new one.

I don't want to sound ungrateful as I appreciate having the frame replaced but as it stands, it looks like I'm going to be paying out £200 plus for the cost of a rebuild and replacing my carbon seatpost - an expense I could do without.

Would I be within my rights to claim for the cost of my LBS (a Cube dealer) doing the rebuild? I don't think I've got any grounds for expecting an equivalent seatpost - but I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this point.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
Giant Defy 105 2009

Comments

• I'd take all of it to the original seller and have them do it - I think it's their responsibility
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'd take all of it to the original seller and have them do it - I think it's their responsibility

I should just contact them and ask them their plan to do the rebuild. It seems as though Cube or the seller have effectively admitted liability for the repair.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Depends on the nature of the claim. If you have claimed on the warranty it is unlikely to include cost for the rebuild most exclude these. If however you have claimed against the retailer under the sale of goods act which is nothing to do with warranty then you may well be able to claim rebuild costs. IANAL but the fact the manufacturer replaced the frame would be an indication that it was not fit for purpose. In all circumstance phone the on-line retailer and talk to them.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • benno68
    Cheers folks, the seller has agreed to reimburse me the cost paid to my LBS for the rebuild. They responded really quickly this time around. They have also agreed to supply a new headset and BB if the old ones don't fit.

I'm very happy with this response but have asked if there's any chance of a voucher to go towards the cost of a replacement seat post as for me, this is the only part that lets the bike down. Wheels will be replaced sometime next year!

All the best!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • RESULT! Good job
  • benno68
    £20 voucher too, if you don't ask you don't get - lol.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Glad to hear it's worked out for you, this is a perfect example of how good customer service will spread. You should point them in the direction of this thread.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benno68
    itboffin wrote:
    Glad to hear it's worked out for you, this is a perfect example of how good customer service will spread. You should point them in the direction of this thread.

As it's a positive outcome, I'd like to say thanks to CRC for the way that they handled this.

Giant Defy 105 2009