Serious question.........what should I put on my chain?

kasandrich
kasandrich Posts: 20
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
What do you guys recommend for chains and how often?

A modern Teflon type spray product?

Every time I go out?

Your recommendations appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no sprays.

a quality chain lube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228375

Something like that. Drip it onto the chain as you backpedal it, wipe off the excess and ride.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    cooldad wrote:
    Really good gear, in summer...
    Only lasted 4 miles at a wet Bedgebury and a bit longer at
    Thetford before the drivetrain got noisy.
    Nicolai CC
  • And that was the lube's fault and not the trail sh!t?
  • cooldad
    edited December 2011
    Works fine in rubbish weather for me, just apply a bit more often.
    You did read the instructions I presume - apply the day before?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Holyzeus
    And that was the lube's fault and not the trail sh!t?
    Dont happen with Muc Off Wet Lube, draw your own conclusion's and yes i know how to lube
    Nicolai CC
  • Holyzeus
    I'm a fan of Squirt, just not in the wet months
    Nicolai CC
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above Squirt all year round. If needs applying every ride so be it. Put it in the freezer and thaw it to improve the consistency for Winter.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Finish Line Dry Lube when it's dry
    Finish Line Cross Country Lube when it's wet/muddy - apply it to every other chain link
  • cooldad
    I hate wet lube - just makes a big gooey oily mess.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    squirt for the summer
    switched just in time yesterday to muc off wet lube
  • Kings
    Kings Posts: 14
    gleitmo if you can get it... prolink link is good too as is rocknroll
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To wet lube or not to wet lube, that is the question. Dry may be the answer, whatever the conditions - http://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/chain- ... r-dry.html
  • cooldad
    deadkenny wrote:
    To wet lube or not to wet lube, that is the question. Dry may be the answer, whatever the conditions - http://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/chain- ... r-dry.html
    Interesting and pretty much what I've found.
    I should get a PR kickback from Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    cooldad wrote:
    Squirt

Good in the dry. But turned out to be mud glue in winter, worse than useless.

White Lightning Epic Ride and Wet Ride are good this time of year. Epic Ride for most conditions, Wet Ride for really bad conditions.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Squirt

Good in the dry. But turned out to be mud glue in winter, worse than useless.

White Lightning Epic Ride and Wet Ride are good this time of year. Epic Ride for most conditions, Wet Ride for really bad conditions.
    We are talking about the one in the bottle and not your obvious I hope.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Just started using the White Lightening Clean Ride and so far it seems like pretty good stuff. I might just be imagining it but it seems to do what is says on the tin and is keeping the chain pretty clean :)
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I'm using Rock n Roll Extreme at the moment and the Gold when it's dry. Awesome stuff but will try Squirt when I run out.
  • Kings
    Kings Posts: 14
    another good one which is often over looked is the shimano chain lube.. it is very very good but does get sticky if you apply too much
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    another for white lightning here,, been using it for years....

i used to use finishline wetlube for winter but it does turn rather ugly and messy....
  • cooldad wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:
    Interesting and pretty much what I've found.
    I should get a PR kickback from Squirt.

Very interesting, and matches exactly what I found last weekend on my new bikes first outing with what was a shiny XTR set.

Applied Muc-Off wet lube a couple of days before and went out onto the very boggy Pitch hill.
    Got back and the whole drive chain was grinding like a banshee. Over an hour cleaning it and had to use diluted degreaser in the end and then relubed to get it back into something resembling new.

Will see what happens this weekend. If I get much of the same the muc-off will go in the bin..
    My LBS recommend ProLube as they reckon it forces more dirt out and keeps everything flowing better.

Anyone got any experience of Prolube?
  • ADL wrote:
    ...apply it to every other chain link

Are you kidding?!?!
  • clean chain after every ride (or two) using degreaser with a chain cleaning widget
    hose off degreaser, dry chain with rag
    liberally use GT85 to displace any remaining water
    wait a few minutes for solvent in GT85 to evaporate
    apply plenty wet lube to rollers while backpedalling chain
    wipe off excess with rag

Not everyone's choice of method; works for me, I get plenty problem free miles from drivetrains this way.
  • Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    jesse-fast-show-520-x-389.jpg
    This week I've mostly been using...
    bar-and-chain-oil-31676c9e.png
    I either use Muc-off wet or what ever chainsaw bar and chain oil i have to hand, only used the old oil based stuff, aint tried the bio stuff we now make or Oregon Arborol but I wouldn't think that would work well with bike chains.

Old non bio/veg chainsaw oil works really well and it has anti fling additives. aint tried the new bio/veg versions and don't plan on trying it as I have loads of it.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Anonymous
    Thinking about what you get with the chain from the manufacturer, it's usually a sticky kind of residue and generally regarded as the best possible stuff.

Is this possible to get after market?

KMC after all say "use a lubricant which initially penetrates the chain's bearing, and then turns'sticky' or'dry'. In this way you can reach the chain parts which are most sensitive to wear"
    http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

So what's good stuff that will do this I wonder?

As a side issue, KMC say this about cleaning chains - "NEVER EVER use a so-called'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain."

Which is curious when Park Tools sell just such a thing to be used with solvents (citric stuff they sell or just plain soapy water, or even just water is a solvent). Park Tools being the holy grail.

I have such a chain cleaner machine and seems to work great with a dash of washing liquid and water.

Seems the roadies have spotted this too - viewtopic.php?p=17227653#p17227653

Good point though, which is better, clean or replace chain? Seems daft to just replace the chain, but then sticking with the manufacturer lube, wipe muck off and continue riding or occasionally do the lube they recommend and perhaps it never needs cleaning.

Oh and for GT85 users, KMC say "Avoid the use of solvents, not only are these bad for the environment, they remove lubricant from the chain's bearing."

But as I say - water is a solvent too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Thinking about what you get with the chain from the manufacturer, it's usually a sticky kind of residue and generally regarded as the best possible stuff.

As a side issue, KMC say this about cleaning chains - "NEVER EVER use a so-called'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain."

I just ignore KMC's advice completely- the chain cleaner comment is demonstrably wrong, as anyone who's ignored it learns, and the grease they ship their chains with is absolutely hopeless in anything with mud. They ended up replacing a chain for me because I tried to use it without degreasing it first and after 30 minutes it was chainsucking so bad that it ended up bent in 3 places. More like glue than lube. It might be good advice for road use though.

I like KMC chains though, so all I do is soak them in paraffin first to remove all that horrible sticky crap, then regrease with a proper chainlube.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, I was thinking that sticky stuff seemed quite cool (smells like paraffin also) and is probably awesome stuff. First KMC I've had. Will see, but it's on the hard tail at the moment and the big bike is going out today with old SRAM chain. Just has generic dry lube on it after it had a clean with the chain cleaner & soapy water.

Wet lube though last week and it was full of grit during the very muddy ride and make a hell of a racket, plus the chainring gave a notchy feeling in the pedalling that made me think the BB was shot. Going to stick with dry for a bit.
  • cooldad
    Thing is, lube needs to work on the rollers ie. inside, so you don't want to strip this out. Gunk build up on the outside, which can just be wiped off.
    So immersing in solvent to clean the outside is a bad idea, unless you lube the chain properly again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools