Every road death in the UK

Tricycleboy
Tricycleboy Posts: 373
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

Every road death in the UK mapped by cause and location. Its amazing that society is willing to put up with this for the freedom of personal transport.

I'm off to buy more lights...

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    edited December 2011
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... lty-uk-map

Not to outdo you or anything, but this has every death and recorded injury on the road*

* in the last 10 years.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just spent about 40 mins looking at that. Quite interesting.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Kind of weird - that green triangle is me.
    6459094457_6f7e0ff4d1.jpg
  • Yup - really interesting.

Noting the ages of peds killed in Inverness - 94, 82, 70s, 22 & 17 - tells a story in itself

Mercifully few cyclist deaths - especially out of town. Mind you, hardly any cyclists.

What I do find interesting is that the location of the mobile speed cameras in no way relates to the risks
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    Had a quick look eralier but it doesn't work very well on my primitive work pc. The thing I noticed is that for pedestrian deaths it mentions buses as being particularly dangerous. It then says along Oxford Street in London nearly every fatality is between a bus and ped. Correct me if I'm wrong but seeing as it's one big bus lane you don't get many cars along there so of course the percentage of buses will be significantly higher.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    That's an incredibly sobering use of the data. Spent ages looking at the map. Recognised too many incidents.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    According to the BBC data it frequently snows in August in the south of England.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Meanredspider:
    What I do find interesting is that the location of the mobile speed cameras in no way relates to the risks
    . Or perhaps the knowledge of the possible presence of speed cameras contributes to safety. In the same way as there's very little crime at Downing Street, but loads of police..... :wink:

Perhaps.....

It is sobering to look at it though, and also a little scary, when you see multiple fatality, single vehicle collisions on straight 30mph roads in the middle of the day. :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, I'm on the guardian one too.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Meanredspider:
    . Or perhaps the knowledge of the possible presence of speed cameras contributes to safety. In the same way as there's very little crime at Downing Street, but loads of police..... :wink:

Perhaps.....

That would be true if there were more accidents on the other stretches. Truth is they're just the easy places to collect revenue - long straight sections of rural dual carriageway tend to be pretty low risk but are great for measuring speed.

Great maps though. My route fortunately has very low occurrence for any sort of accident
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Mercifully few cyclist deaths - especially out of town. Mind you, hardly any cyclists.

I found that as well around where I live but again hardly any cyclists.
  • rick_chasey
    All the places I would guess were hotspots in Cambridge for cyclist problems seem to play out on the map.
  • Interesting... on my route to work there were 5 deaths in the last 10y - all of the deaths being female, all at junctions and all involving a bike and a long vehicle/bus/vehicle over 7.5tonnes... which in my mind only proves what I already believe; cycling per se isn't dangerous, its lack of awareness of whats going on around you/perception of outcomes that is...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    On the Guardian one, it struck me that the majority of deaths in the London Sq Mile were cyclists....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Looking at the BBC data, 35% of cyclists involved in an incident have a criminal record. Given that most of us on here have been in a prang at some point, just over a third of us are crims of some kind. Bompington and RC are on the Guardian one so maybe there's a correlation there? ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Looking at the BBC data, 35% of cyclists involved in an incident have a criminal record.

wonder how much of that 35% are for driving bans?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rick_chasey
    Torvid wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Looking at the BBC data, 35% of cyclists involved in an incident have a criminal record.

wonder how much of that 35% are for driving bans?

41% of lorry drivers
    35% Van drivers
    32% bikers
    30%peds
    24% bus drivers
    21% car drivers

Either a criminal record means you're much more likely to crash, or a surprisingly large amount of people have criminal records. (or both)
  • Torvid
    I think the point I was trying to make is are the 35% of cyclist in incidents with a record on a bike because the magistrates have taken their licence off them. Basically is it a case that the criminal record just indicates they are less likely to experianced as they have been 'forced' on to a bike?
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2011
    Wouldn't they constitute driving offences?

They have the stats for incidents with those too.

61% Vans
    56% Lorries
    50% bus drivers (<<< seriously, if a bus diver has a driving offence, wtf is he driving a bus?)
    44% Bikers
    39% car drivers
    38% cyclists
    34% peds (though presumably you can't get a traffic offence as a ped)
  • Just checked my 12 mile route from SW to central london. 28 deaths in 10 years. astonishing.

Only a couple of cyclists, and by far and away the most deaths were motorcyclists (largely down the embankement, at junctions, at night.) Its a pretty fast road when the traffics clear.
  • rick_chasey
    Interesting - more or less all the accidents on the millbank roundabout are cyclists. Makes sense. Seen some crazy risk taking on that one.
  • SteppenHerring
    SteppenHerring Posts: 720
    edited December 2011
    I was initally puzzled by the number of cycling injuries on Markedge Lane that goes under the M25 just North of Redhill as it's a pretty quiet road (stop at Fanny's Farm for cake). But then I remembered: BHF L2B. In fact all the descents on the L2B are clearly visible on that map ...
  • rick_chasey
    BHF L2B?
  • Torvid
    British Heart Foundation - London to Brighton
  • Round me the frightening observation is the number of 17 year olds killed in cars. I guess it's the same everywhere.

Some odd-looking accidents - 2 cyclists injured and one killed (male and female adult and a young child - male killed) in one incident and no other vehicles involved - collision? (near Ft William IIRC)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Possibly a cyclist fell and died, and his companions were treated for shock?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Possibly a cyclist fell and died, and his companions were treated for shock?

Good thinking - quite plausible
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    edited December 2011
    The Grauniad colour scheme makes it look like a plantation of conifers has been planted along the Kings Road to Putney Bridge :cry:
  • I was initally puzzled by the number of cycling injuries on Markedge Lane that goes under the M25 just North of Redhill as it's a pretty quiet road (stop at Fanny's Farm for cake). But then I remembered: BHF L2B. In fact all the descents on the L2B are clearly visible on that map ...

Do they include the heart attacks?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    One near where I live - 15 year old motorcyclist at 01:00...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5