2011 / 2012 Took a tumble thread

2»

Comments

• I had two this morning within about 60 seconds of each other. The first was on the A47 in Leicestershire if anyone knows it. Was coming around a corner at mid speed and the front wheel decided it had had enough trying to keep me upright. I hit the deck on the right hand side and slid across the frosty-glassy-ice like Norman Wisdom.

Mr Grimsdale!

Second one happened just as my confidence had been restored. Slight decline leading to a turn. Was going about 2mph and this one hurt like hell. Very odd. Bike ok - single speed - what'd you expect.

Keep safe people and don't get captured.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    this morning, turning right with a car behind and a car approaching where I'm crossing and off I go; black ice I suspect. Thankfully both cars stopped and I've only sustained gravel rash.
  • Just watched the clip, ouch! Thankfully low speed with no following cars!

It's odd how the camera's pick out the hazardous sections of road you miss!

Here's my CS7 crash: http://youtu.be/f1HgO_NM_kY you'll notice in the clip that the road does look rather slick/oily yet it looked fine as I approached! My initial thoughts where I hit a drain cover but I think I just missed that, you also see the second rider picking herself up as I get myself up and glance back down the road.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    this morning at 6.30 I headed out into the darkness to be greeted by white everywhere as far as the eye could see, taking it really steady I still managed to side on slide twice before admitting defeat, 3 miles in 20 there was no way I'd stay on the bike ffs standing beside it at the edge of the road was hard enough to stay upright.

pants utter pants, I hate ice.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still managed to keep my commuter wheel side down but I had a washout on the MTB 13 days ago when the leaves I was rolling over turned out to conceal a wooden bridge (in the dark), straight into the ground chest first at about 18mph, doctor suspects a broken rib but as he says, there is no point taking an x-ray to confirm it when it doesn't change how we treat you! Taking an age to load your vid, so comments later!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My only tumble so far was at about 5 mph in the garage at work, going over a patch of the shiny painted floor that had just been mopped. I just managed to keep my feet though. Gave the security guards some entertainment, anyway.
  • Came off this morning in Glasgow. Front wheel just went from under me on black ice at about 5 MPH. I went down so fast no time to react at all which is just as well as if id let the handle bars go then id probably bust my wrist or shoulder. My face however is a different matter as i gave myself a nasty shave with a ice/grit/gravel razor and, not that i need to add fuel the helmet debate, but i hit the road head first and i split my helmet big time. Hate to think what would have happened to my head without it.

As for Glasgow being a friendly city, witnessed by 4 stationary cars sitting at red lights and not one person wound the window down to ask if i was alright. It was 5.30am! I actually find my last point pretty sad.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd have probably straightened up earlier and ridden near the middle of the road for the first 30 yards of the road, rather than riding over the shiny section......but that's easy to say with hindsight.

Good save earlier on BTW!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I rode my MTB down a lane with black ice on it. Dead straight it was and I still went over instantly! Aside from Marathon Winters, I doubt there's much would have saved you from making that video!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bad luck KB, I changed my route to avoid a 90 degree turn with adverse camber on it, after coming off at about 2mph two days in a row last winter
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Same junction, same patch of black ice (or at least the location).... at least this time I was wary of it and only approached it at a crawl; may have to rethink my route. Don't know what's different this year as opposed to the last 2 years when I quite happily negotiated this junction.
  • Had my first spill around a week ago, coming back from my local dive club on the Stevenage cycleway network at around 22:30 in the rain and wind. The underpass into the old town has bollards put in place to stop oiks on motorcycles from using it, but they are narrow enough to cause cyclists hassle too.

Trouble is that the widest bollard space (The one your mind is drawn to navigating at speed), I found out after the spill co-incides with a drain cover which when wet is incredibly slippery. Needless to say to navigate the bollards the angle aims you are the kerb, ass one very slippery grid, a kerb collision and whoopsie daisy the air turns a darker shade of blue with the sheer anglo saxon which spewed from my sewer mouth!!!

Anyway the bike and me are fine, albeit a sprained wrist and a cracked rear light.

Regards

Paul
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Without too many repeat posts, I came off this morning on severe ice (slid 10 feet on my ass & my elbow (or was it my elbow and my ass - I never know which is which ;) ) without damaging any clothing. Marathon Winters on the bike too - possibly inflated too hard. I'm not finding them as sure-footed as Ice Spikers so far and will probably be taking the MTB/Ice Spikers on days when ice is the rule rather than the exception from now on.

I'm slightly bruised. Broke rear hanger on bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • There I was last Friday on my maiden commute to Bloodhound, on the Brompton, cycling along the dockside in Bristol.

"Those railway lines set into the road look slippery" I thought to myself, split second later both wheels were down in the railway lines, came to a swift stop, was ejected over the cars, somehow landing I my feet in a "I ment that" kind of way, leaving the Brompton standing there, rails holding the bike upright. I'm so cool (or just very lucky) :mrgreen:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Garcube Road, turning right towards the Motorway, passing Cowcaddens underground station. I am on inside lane, cars on right of me. Lean over into turn, slight downhill, get the lights changing so doing about 15-18mph. Hit a lovely patch of diesel on the greasy road, both wheels wipe out. I slide along on ar5e and leg, bike slides along too.

Bike took impact on the back on a small light i fitted that morning - it exploded like a bomb. Front brake scraped and handlebar tape bust. Me - road rash on botty, and leg, but miraculously did not tear shorts. Ah well........ That was last month, all better now.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"