OT - Christmas trees, who's got "one" up?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
My mrs made me buy one an stick it up (oow err) last night, so we have to keep the thing green for another 4 weeks....

so come on own up, who already has decorations up?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• I've got 2 up!
    One bog-standard 'real one' in the living room. And a flourescent pink one in the kid's room - tastfully decorated with the cheapest, tackiest decorations that I could buy from the pound shop.

I would have waited a week or so, but my 5 year old is very insistent - I'll do anything for a quiet weekend.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, went up on Saturday. Kids are cock-a-hoop.

Had to do it while watching the Wales/Australia game. It all came close to tumbling down when Shane Williams went over.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I've put a real one up while the wife was away for the weekend.

It came in a bucket full of soil. How much are you meant to water these things?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • 1st december the missus demanded one and a tree too.

@pangolin - they can survive being quite moist - put a tray under and be generous rather than not.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    6ft Nordman went up yesterday. Kids got dressed up in their Christmas outfits (snowman and an elf - not my idea) to decorate the thing. Fun all round. Living room now smells like Norway (pine forests rather than preserved fish).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tree went up yesterday and is going to be decorated tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Yep, after clearing the wifes craft crap out of the corner of the living room "old faithful" was once again retrieved from the loft and constructed and wired up to look something akin to the Blackpool illuminations :-) Kids have 2 smaller trees to go in their bedrooms and as this is our first crimbo at the new place the missus is taking full advantage and purchased some more bleeding lights (something of a tradition in our family, each new year entails at least one new set of lights for somewhere....) This years are outside lights :-) Now have lovely electric blue lights dangling around the front window and porch area :-D I have so far managed to keep her away from the stand-up characters and rope lighting section at the local Homebase......

Anyhow kids are all now happy which is what makes this month so great, well that and it's my birthday 6 days before xmas!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Yep, after clearing the wifes craft crap out of the corner of the living room "old faithful" was once again retrieved from the loft and constructed and wired up to look something akin to the Blackpool illuminations :-) Kids have 2 smaller trees to go in their bedrooms and as this is our first crimbo at the new place the missus is taking full advantage and purchased some more bleeding lights (something of a tradition in our family, each new year entails at least one new set of lights for somewhere....) This years are outside lights :-) Now have lovely electric blue lights dangling around the front window and porch area :-D I have so far managed to keep her away from the stand-up characters and rope lighting section at the local Homebase......

Anyhow kids are all now happy which is what makes this month so great, well that and it's my birthday 6 days before xmas!

Making me think of Chevy Chase on his roof in National Lampoon's Christmas.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yep, ours went up yesterday. Much like Bassjunkie, fake tree out the loft and a little one in each of the kids rooms. I tend to think we put ours up early, but it seems like more and more people do this now. Still got more decorations to put up around the place. Every year the EPO will buy some new stuff, but none of the old stuff goes.
    Kids are happy. Thouht my son might start to fade now he's a teen, but he was helping and seemed to be enjoying himself.
  • I harvested a 6ft ponderosa pine from its habitat in the loft and we decorated it on Friday night with the Jazzy Christmas CD in the background, as per tradition. I then spent the weekend feeling duly festive.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Haven't you heard? It's called a Winterval tree now!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Off to get mine and ones for the rest of the family next saturday. Hopefully they will be ready with coffee, baileys and mince pies when I call round with them.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Traditionally our tree goes up on the first saturday in December. It went up a week early as the kids have been poorly over the last couple of weeks and the house needed a cheer up.

It'll be a long January/February, may as well make the most of December and Christmas
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yep, a 15cm one picked up on impulse while doing the weekly shop yesterday. It's only a tiddler, but cute :)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    bails87 wrote:
    Haven't you heard? It's called a Winterval tree now!
    Feck off, troll ;):D

Ours went up yesterday, accompanied by appropriate music and very excited kids. As soon as the kids were in bed the mrs was re-decorating it to her aesthetic, rather than the little ones.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Yep, ours went up on Saturday.
    About half the branches (with lights built in) have died now so its a puzzle game trying to arrange them all to the back of the tree so it still looks half decent.
    I think after 9 years it could be due for retirement - though I think we said that last year too :?
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    After much badgering from the kids we got our tree yesterday.

Sent our youngest, 24!!!!, to get the tree with her boyfriend, he's the one with the van, instructions - max £25!!! The young man then manages to blag and cajole a £35 tree from Homebase for £20, what a boy! :)

Now where's that Christmas present list, I wonder if he can work some magic there?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Our son's 1st birthday this weekend, so we decided it would go up next weekend, so as to not impinge on his celebrations!!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    KevEss wrote:
    Sent our youngest, 24!!!!, to get the tree with her boyfriend, he's the one with the van, instructions - max £25!!! The young man then manages to blag and cajole a £35 tree from Homebase for £20, what a boy! :)

Careful, people might think you were Scottish....

Apps Court Farm on Terrace Road / Hurst Road were doing some bargains.

Gave my christmas present list to Mrs A last night; she said she's not buying me the books as her folks have got all the ones on my list and I can just borrow from them and she's not getting me the helmet cam 'as all the folks you see on the news with them seem like complete tools and I don't want you to become one of them'.

Seems fair enough.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • 3 trees up and 2 decorated twice already (mrs has OCD and insisted on 're-working' the kids efforts after they had gone to bed)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I've just popped out to get mine. By god inflation has taken it's grip on the crimbo tree prices. I paid £35 for a Nordman Spruce(?) +£2.50 for a trunk base last year that was about 6'5" last year. This year the same local garden center were asking £50=+£2.75!!! I had to shop around and get a cheaper more needle droppy variety from a local animal sanctuary that does trees on the side.
    Bah, Humbug.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    heres a picture of our Border Collie "Molly" getting into the spirit of things

chrimbomolly.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Molly the Collie gets Jolly with Holly.

Sorry.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ours generally goes up about 2 weeks before Xmas, so it's pencilled in for this coming Sunday.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Unbelievable, I am not allowed to spend £400 on wheels from PX but we can spend £66 quid this last weekend on a tree in a pot, lights, tinsel and baubles.

I know we have a wedding coming up but it should go both ways shouldn't it???
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.