Gisburn Forest - What Tyres

fritzz11
fritzz11 Posts: 40
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am planning a trip to Gisburn at the weekend, seeing as I need new tyres what do people recommend? I was thinking of high rollers 42a super tacky.
I ride Cube Fritzz currently on Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

Thanks
2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    im off to Gisburn next Friday

im running Minion 60a 2.35 at the mo. Havent used them at Gisburn, but used them at Deggy last weekend and they were epic
  • I had a high roller (2.35) on the front and a larssen (2.0) on the back when I went a while back, While it wasn't exactly thick mud, the back end got a bit lively when it came to the wet rocky areas.

Front was fine though. Doubt you'd go wrong with a pair of them, they ride great when it's dry too.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    fritzz11 wrote:
    I am planning a trip to Gisburn at the weekend, seeing as I need new tyres what do people recommend? I was thinking of high rollers 42a super tacky.
    I ride Cube Fritzz currently on Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

Thanks

Will be a slogg with them on
    DCR00 wrote:
    im off to Gisburn next Friday

im running Minion 60a 2.35 at the mo. Havent used them at Gisburn, but used them at Deggy last weekend and they were epic

These will be fine.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i rode gisburn on my minions and they were fine.. on my hardtail... and ardents on my full susser... (fs was in summer though) only ride my fs in summer so i dont get it dirty..
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I've done Gisburn a dozen times this year in every weather possible (inc ice on the boardwalk sections)
    I've always run Highroller 2.35 60a's on both ends with no issues. Back wheel did slip out over some of the roots through the peddling sections but were fine through the rocky sections and down hully gully
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    The super tackys will be ace on the slidy rocks, but a real drag on anything else... from my experience anyways. I hadn't realised just how much rolling resistance there is in the tackier compound. I'd be tempted by a pair in the 60a. Or maybe high roller out back and minion up front.

BTW... anyone know what the trails are like at the moment? Has anyone been over the Xmas hols? I'm taking my brother in law there over the holiday period. I know the D&P is gonna be shut :-(
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • 1mancity2
    Im up there every week atm, trails are fine, the boardwalk is slippy but that just adds fun, Slab is great, been resurfaced below it so you can really pop of the rock jump into the berm now!

Hope line has had some maintenance work and is riding really well, bottom section is cutting up a little but its still good.
  • DCR00
    are there any facilities up there at all, or should i take some butties with me ?
  • 1mancity2
    DCR00 wrote:
    are there any facilities up there at all, or should i take some butties with me ?

There is the pub at toss side, you can start your ride there then get some food after if open.

Take some butties to be safe, what time you going up?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if you go on a sunday (only every been on a sunday) there has always been a hogi van there on the carpark selling food... if you do go on sunday though get there early as the carpark @ cocklethill soon fills up... i seen it full at 800am in the summer....
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    DCR00 wrote:
    Here's the pub

http://www.gisburnforestbikes.co.uk

I think Tim (landlord) might have shut up shop for the winter now. But worth a check. Probably only open weekends, if at all.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • DCR00
    1mancity2 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

There is the pub at toss side, you can start your ride there then get some food after if open.

Take some butties to be safe, what time you going up?

going up first thing on Friday, so would be wanting lunch
  • i ride gisburn every weekend as i live 5 minutes away.i would recomend any decent all-round tyre as sections aremuddy and wet but other parts are fast and flowing(hully gully,make sure you ride it).i use a continental baron black chilli rear and a rubber qwueen up front they are fine.
    live to ride ,ride to live
    If I'm not riding I'm not happy.
  • madmax245 wrote:
    i ride gisburn every weekend as i live 5 minutes away.i would recomend any decent all-round tyre as sections aremuddy and wet but other parts are fast and flowing(hully gully,make sure you ride it).i use a continental baron black chilli rear and a rubber qwueen up front they are fine.
    Why the Rubber Queen up front and what width? Why not Baron front and back? What is the advantage of this combo?
    LRRs
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    delcol wrote:
    if you go on a sunday (only every been on a sunday) there has always been a hogi van there on the carpark selling food... if you do go on sunday though get there early as the carpark @ cocklethill soon fills up... i seen it full at 800am in the summer....

I went a few weeks back on a Sunday, there was no butty van! we did take our own though.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Just been up this weekend for 2 days and there was every thing except snow and ice. The flies were not as hungry this time. I had the Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre up front and it was superb! The back tyre slide out many times but the Baron gripped and saved me. My mates found it slippery but I had no such worries with the Baron.

For food there are a few new places. A van at the bottom near the car park, Gisburnbikes cafe - not that I seen it. Uncle Bobs off the trail down towards the reservoir. The pub isn't doing as much due to lack of customers, but will probably do something if you book a party in advance. A new cafe has open next door to the pub that does an all day breakfast for £5. Other than that there is the Crowtree a mile further down, or a cafe in Slaidburn.
    LRRs