going tubless

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all all i need to know is can i turn my DT Swiss 445 rims to tubless or will i have to change rims i know you can buy rim tape and tyers and valves to go tubless but does it work on any rim

cheers
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i'm pretty sure the getto style conversion works on any rim. as you use a bmx innertube to cover the rim ...

i'm sure other conversion kits will work to..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its a tubE, so you go tubEless, going tubless would mean you were on a road bike going back to clinchers!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i think the 445's come with a strip already fitted. looking at mine, it seems very airtight?

my friend had a set of valve/adapters with his enduro from new. im thinking of robbing them!
  • i lied. just spoken to specialized concept in the lakes. the rip strip from experience leaks through the nipples.

it will however work with the stans kit. shop around, prices are creeping down from £50.....
  • Its a tubE, so you go tubEless, going tubless would mean you were on a road bike going back to clinchers!

Simon

I think we got what they meant there, as they posted in MTB and not road and would assume that they were not meaning they would like to get rid of their bath.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Ghetto, nice!

I was just talking at work today about going tubeless and i was told the cost of doing so was expensive, i had planned to think of a ghetto way of doing it, but it looks like it has already been done.

Anybody from this forum done it the ghetto way ?
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • so whats the benifet of going tubles or is it better just sticking with tubes. canirun lower tyer pressuer with tubless

• Yes lower pressures as there is nothing to pitch punture on and goo to seal small thorn ect holes.

If it all goes tits-up what do you do - put in a tube....
  • it seems going tubless is a messy job and more hassle than its worth. how many havegone over to tubless and never looked back and how many of you have reverted back to tubes

• converted my mavic 717 rims with stans no tubes 12 month ago, best thing ive done to my mtb bike not had a problem with punctures or losing tyres of rims, no mess, wont ever go back to medieval tubes again
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    it seems going tubless is a messy job and more hassle than its worth. how many havegone over to tubless and never looked back and how many of you have reverted back to tubes

I still use tubes on the DH bike but tubeless on everything else. Buuuut, I would have gone back from ghetto tubeless on my 717s to tubes- it was just too much hassle to get it to work reliably, after a lot of work I still had the tyres rolling off the rims in hard corners. Was fine for XC pootling though. And all the tape etc that was needed to get it set up ended up weighing as much as the tubes I was using anyway. I'm sure I could have got it to work with a bit more faff but I couldn't see why I'd bother.

But proper tubeless- with standard tyres on a tubeless rim- is another story entirely, and well worth it.
    Uncompromising extremist