Bottom bracket problems?

Sammiye
Sammiye Posts: 61
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Alright all, Noob question perhaps!

My bike is making a horrendous buzzing rattling noise when i put power through the pedals. I'm 95% sure it has nothing to do with the shifting/gears/chain as i had this set up professionally not so long ago and it doesn't make the noise when on a stand/upside down, pedaling through all the gears - they all shift fine too. Definitely not the chain rattling against the front mech.

The bike was bought mid November and is less than 100 miles old. The buzzing comes from around the bottom bracket area. And in the 3rd chain ring i can feel vibrations through the pedals. I've got a crank tool and have tried to tighten the cranks - they're as tight as they go without using excessive force.. I haven't removed them though.

Could this be a bottom bracket bearing issue? it started on my last ride and seemed to be getting progressively worse on my ride today. Its never been jet washed and its cleaned with hot water and a soft brush after (nearly) every ride.

I presume BBs are supposed to last longer than this, could it just be some sand/grit in there?

It was a mail order bike so should i contact the shop, or just take off the cranks and try to remove the BB myself and send it off for inspection? I havent really got any idea how to remove the BB after the chain and cranks come off.

Cheers for any advice.

Sam

Comments