Improve my 2009 Rockhopper Pro

bartiebat
bartiebat Posts: 97
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I made the mistake of trying my friends super duper top end stumpy, how much easier is that?!! Anyway, it doesn't matter how nice it was, i cant ever afford one! So my next thought is what if I change the forks on my rockhopper? I think I have Rockshox recon? It's the 80mm ones whichever they are? What could I put in instead without ruining the geometry or is it really not worth the spends for the improvement I could get?

Ta in advance
Karen x

Comments

• This is not workshop it's beginners or buiyng advise.

Need more info - be specific about what you've got and want to achieve
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Recon are decent forks, you'd need to spend £250 upwards to improve on them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Given that I am neither a beginner nor is my question about which brand to buy I apologise for the ambiguous question & indecisiveness about which thread to post my topic under. I thought I was talking about tech (Workshop & tech!). I would appreciate friendly advice rather than policing! Maybe I could reiterate. I can't afford £2500 for a FS bike. My bike which Ive owned for almost 3 yrs has 80mm travel. If I was to spend £800 on the forks which my friend has on his stumpy, I would assume the geometry of the bike wouldn't take it as they go up to 140mm (I believe). If however I was to increase this to the next Rockshox up which has 100mm would I even notice the benefits? Ideally I would like 120mm, but again would the bike take it?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is your budget. The next one up is a bit vague, as it depends what recons you have at the moment, and what you intend to replace them with.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Get some Reba's... or SIDs. Wait for the sales though...
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • You certainly sound like a beginner.

If I spend £800 on some forks that are 80mm (same crown axel length) then I have the same geo. Greater travel does not directly relate to cost or being further up the range.

Your bike will fit any fork that is 1 1/8 steerer, the frames for warrenty reasons are limited to 110mm

Going up the range as said does not mean more travel - it means lighter for the same strength, better control of the suspension i.e. damping, rebound, lockout and wheel fitments ect.

Benefits don't always come from more travel it is how controled that travel is, so an 80mm Sid would have much better small bump sensitivity than a Recon 120mm that could soak up bigger hits, but that does not make it better.

It's not policing, it helping you to find the answers you are looking for better, which I still don't know what you're actually asking or trying to achieve.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want more travel, see if you can extend the forks you have - download the manual and look at the All Travel spacers. But it WILL effect geometry ie make it slightly slacker. More stable, but less responsive.

Apart from this, or maybe new tyres, I'd leave as is and save your money. Be cheaper and easier to sell up and get a new bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lad has a similarily (I suspect) specced 2008 Spesh P1 AM, came with Suntour XCM forks we've done the following mods/upgrades
    1/ 9 speed conversion (the rear mech and cassette were shot anyway) with mech/cassette and shifter, front chainset retained although now double and bash.
    2/ XCM forks replaced with some Manitou Black 120mm off ebay, fully stripped and serviced before fitment
    3/ New pads in the Avid BB5 callipers, no point upgrading to low end Hydro's as the BB's are excelent for cable brakes
    4/ Decent tyres to suite the terrain we use (Schwalbe Alberts)
    5/ Decent saddle (OK his was fine but broke following a heavy landing at Cannock, both rails twisted like liquorice!)
    6/ Slightly wider bars and upgrading to 31.8mm with a new stem at the same time.

Cost of mods £80, on top of the bike cost (£120 off ebay), now a much much better ride!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I've got a 2008 Rockhopper I use for commuting mostly but have upgraded pretty much everything on it. For £800 you may be better off buying a 2011 Cube hardtail or something, some good buys on CRC, but if I were going to spend £800 on the Rockhopper (which have a v good frame) I'd spend £250-£300 on forks (look for specials), £200 on wheels (I've got Fulcrum Red Devil 5 which I scored for only £100 new but are normally about £150), £40-£50 on tyres, £170 or so on XT crank/chainring, £80 bar and stem, £20 new gear cables.