Lyrik 2009 floodgate question

jimmy23cricket
jimmy23cricket Posts: 59
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I recently purchased a set of these with the floodgate mod, basically for those who don't know, you could remove the floodgate from these and get more small bump sensitivity. Consequently leading Sram to create all sorts of "new" dampers (DH, etc)

anyway, my question is: with this mod, do you lose all damper settings or just the floodgate related ones?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Done this mod on mine and you only lose the floodgate function. The high, low compression and rebound stay the same.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would that explain why the RC2DH has no floodgate? I was trying to work out where it was as the manual has instructions for floodgate. Makes sense.

Is floodgate just effectively a lockout?
  • Basically yes although you can alter the amount of force it requires to make the fork active. I have heard of people using it as a type of propedal so the fork remains locked so there is no bob but when you hit a rock it opens up and becomes active. I personally wouldn't use it like that because the small bump sensitivity would be pants. Never used the floodgate even on road sections so I removed it and now the small bump sensitivity is better though not by much. Afaik the Rc2dh has quite a marked improvement over this.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Anonymous
    It's certainly a plush ride whatever it's doing :). Only just got it and still working out the compression settings.

Never had lockout on my old forks and can't say it's something I'd miss. Always had rear suspensions that are good at reducing pedal bob (enough that propedal makes little difference) and maybe that helps the front also, I don't know. Though I've read that the main issue at the front is when climbing out of the seat. Which I never do.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a nice and easy mod, and reversible too. Well worth doing IMO. Don't miss the floodgate at all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Deadkenny have you seen this setup guide from rockshox? Although it's for the mission control rather than the dh damper it may help with some ballpark figures to work with
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/rocks ... _Guide.pdf
  • Anonymous
    Yeah saw that recently. Set it to the basic 4-4-1 starting point, except not the 1 as I realised I didn't have the floodgate, and adjusted it a little since to what appears to be my kind of riding but just have to play really to see. Guess I won't know until I've done all the terrain types. Suppose I need to tweak it for the kind of ride I'm doing.