FreeWheel Removal

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys.

Is there any way to get the freewheel off without the special tool?

Meant to be going to Llandegla on Monday, but just realised how buckled my rear wheel is, so need to change it to a stronger one off my old bike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the hub is?

Some don't need any tools. Some just need an Allen key.

But without the required info who knows what you need as the ESP is not very good this evening.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • looking at it now, i think its a cassette. it's a shimano m475 hub on a giant anthem x4 2010.
  • nicklouse
    Spread the how tos on Parktools

Chain whip and cassette tool needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Just ordered the two tools.

Is it possible to put a nine speed freewheel/cassette onto a wheel that had an eight speed cassette/freewheel?
  • You're confusing terms there
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The answer is yes but the cassette goes on a freehub.
    Freewheels screw directly onto the hubs. Not used anymore except BSO's really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry for mixing up my terms. Still learning :) I just wondered because I have a set of Mavic Disc 117's stock on my giant anthem x4, but they are very bendy for the riding I do. I've got my kona shred with Alexrim DM24 rims on which are a lot stronger. The Kona is 8 speed and the giant 9 speed, so I'm going to change the cassette over from the giant onto the Alexrim so the Alexrim will then have the 9 speed on. Just wanted to make sure it is possible.

Thanks guys.
  • Bendy? Would think that's more in the build?

Yes you can just swop them over using chain whip and cassette tool.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Have you had the wheels looked at for spoke tension ??? sometimes when new from factory the spokes loose tension...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Bendy? Would think that's more in the build?

Yes you can just swop them over using chain whip and cassette tool.

The Mavic rims are more for cross country, but I do the trails on Cannock chase regularly and they are very rutted and so the runs havent held up very well.

Thanks for all the help guys. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Cannock is an XC trail centre, not a particularly technical one at that... unless you mean the downhill runs? The mavic rims should be fine if they're built/maintained properly, unless you're fairly heavy and/or a pretty aggressive rider. Your average rider at the chase should be fine with them.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    Sounds like your mavics need looking at as they sound like they will be trashed if you don't have them rectified soon.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Sounds like your mavics need looking at as they sound like they will be trashed if you don't have them rectified soon.

Yep, the spokes come loose pretty much every time i ride. do i need to get them rebuild?
  • Yes, but that's nowt to do with the rim