PayPal ripoff (being ripped off by PayPal)

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Just thought I'd let people know about a ripoff which PayPal are complicit in, and make money out of.

Needing to find a nanny for our young children, we set up an account with an online service, and made a payment to be 'gold' members. The payment was via PayPal, safe enough you'd think, and receipt from the payment transaction came from PayPal obviously.

What we didn't realised was that the company had setup with PayPal a 'subscription', which was only noted in the receipt from PayPal, not where you'd expect to look for notice they'd contnue to take money! (NB I don't recall giving express permission to create this subscription).

The receipt said that it was now created (without our express approval) and that funds would continue to be taken from account, without ANY further notice, until we cancelled it! I only discovered this by looking at my bank sttements and wondering what on earth I was still paying for this website for when I'd only ever made the one payment!

Even working out that there was a subscrption and figuring out how to cancel it was a bit of an exercise.

I've now complained to PayPal and am hoping (without much expectation) that I'll get a refund for their ripoff practice, but everyone else out there beware, if you use PayPal to make a payment for anything you might end up with recurring billing against your account!
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Have you complained to the website as well. They should make it clear you are buying a subscription.
  • Yeah, sounds like the website are the ones being sneaky to me.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    chuckcork wrote:
    Just thought I'd let people know about a ripoff which PayPal are complicit in, and make money out of.

Needing to find a nanny for our young children, we set up an account with an online service, and made a payment to be 'gold' members. The payment was via PayPal, safe enough you'd think, and receipt from the payment transaction came from PayPal obviously.

What we didn't realised was that the company had setup with PayPal a 'subscription', which was only noted in the receipt from PayPal, not where you'd expect to look for notice they'd contnue to take money! (NB I don't recall giving express permission to create this subscription).

The receipt said that it was now created (without our express approval) and that funds would continue to be taken from account, without ANY further notice, until we cancelled it! I only discovered this by looking at my bank sttements and wondering what on earth I was still paying for this website for when I'd only ever made the one payment!

Even working out that there was a subscrption and figuring out how to cancel it was a bit of an exercise.

I've now complained to PayPal and am hoping (without much expectation) that I'll get a refund for their ripoff practice, but everyone else out there beware, if you use PayPal to make a payment for anything you might end up with recurring billing against your account!
    If you can verify this, i.e. that there wasn't actually anything (such as white text on a white background) telling you this beforehand, I wonder if trading standards might be worth a call.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    contact your bank and dispute the ongoing transactions - saying "this is an unauthorised transaction" - quote regulation 61 of the Payment Services Regulations 2009 if you like.

your bank must then put you back in funds immediately and leave it to them to chase up the people taking your subscription.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Interestingly, saw this this morning

https://twitter.com/#/wilw/status/143903339699109888
    wilw wrote:
    This is a stupid fuck up of EPIC proportions, PayPal. Make it right. Admit you screwed up, and make it right. http://goo.gl/045w4
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides