what single speed freewheel gear

Big Chrisy
Big Chrisy Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
hi all, im a bit of a newbie here
well anyway im looking for a single speed freewheel gear to go on a normal splined cassette hub, but im ripping my brains out trying to find one, so here's me hoping one of you guys will be able to tell me where to get one (i have all the spacers needed)
its the final piece of my jump bike im making
so any info will help :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just buy a single speed kit.

Or cog if you have the spacers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On One - about £10
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hi thanks for all the reply's so far but can anyone give me a link to a site for a freewheel cog not a fixed cog
  • nicklouse
    You just need a SS cog as comes with a SS conversion kit.

All the big sites do them take you pick. As to what size you need that is up to you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stubs
    Big Chrisy wrote:
    hi thanks for all the reply's so far but can anyone give me a link to a site for a freewheel cog not a fixed cog

In your original post you said you wanted a cog to go on a "normal splined cassette hub" you dont need a freewheel cog they are normally only for hubs with a screw thread. The splined part is the freehub. Do you mean a threaded hub if you do just google BMX or single speed freewheel or go on ebay tons of them about last one I bought cost me a tenner.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Big Chrisy wrote:
    hi thanks for all the reply's so far but can anyone give me a link to a site for a freewheel cog not a fixed cog

In your original post you said you wanted a cog to go on a "normal splined cassette hub" you dont need a freewheel cog they are normally only for hubs with a screw thread. The splined part is the freehub. Do you mean a threaded hub if you do just google BMX or single speed freewheel or go on ebay tons of them about last one I bought cost me a tenner.

hi thanks, really helpful i didn't have a clue that the splined part being the freehub
    just the answer i was looking for (i thought i was wrong)
    youv'e made my day
  • hi again, maybe slightly off topic but can anyone now direct me towards a really cheap 35mm wide rim, with a 135mm spacing and a 10mm bolt through or Qr, doesn't matter if its single speed or cassette (already got the conversion kit for single speed)

would be grateful for any help
  • hi again guys,
    does anyone know if these wheels are any good
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-Schurmann- ... 389wt_1270
  • nicklouse
    not really for what you say in this topic.
  • stubs
    Cheap, nasty and about the same weight as an anvil. Save your money.