Bearing Removal - Superstar Superleggera Rear Hub.

cmd205
cmd205 Posts: 107
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys.

Hope someone can help me on this. I'm currently swapping all the bearings in my Superstar hubs. I've got them all out other than the drive side hub bearing. It looks like it's held in by the steel toothed ring that the pawls engage with on the freehub. The hub looks looks its threaded to accept this ring. The ring itself has no holes or anywhere that I can see to get a tool to undo it. The other option is to get the bearing out from the other side of the hub, but it can't see how it would come out of that side.

Does anyone have any ideas? Pictures below.

picture4zq.png

picture3ji.png

picture2imd.png

picture1xht.png

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    just had a quick look on google and it appears you require a special tool to remove that bearing as its held in behind the freehub engagment ring.
  • cmd205
    Can I ask where you saw this info - I've searched google but can't find anywhere that sells such a tool?

Thanks,
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Drop Superstar an email they got back to me with a couple of days when I asked about swapping the bearings on an EVO switch hub
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    edited December 2011
    cmd205 wrote:
    Can I ask where you saw this info - I've searched google but can't find anywhere that sells such a tool?

Thanks,
    http://northwalesmtb.proboards.com/inde ... hread=7525

and here look for kenster301
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -xc-32194/

viewtopic.php?p=16755701
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... moval-tool

information on these tools and types of hubs seems rare i cant find one or info on how to do it anywere....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Contact SuperStar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cmd205
    I emailed Superstar yesterday and fairplay - got a reply within a couple of hours. Emailed them back last night about 8pm with another question and fair play again - reply at 7:50am this morning. I've heard that there have been issues in the past with customer service but in my experience it has been spot on.....so big thanks to Superstar.

The score with the bearings is as follows:

A special tool IS required to remove this particular bearing. The problem is that this tool is really expensive and Superstar don't sell it anymore (it used to cost about £50!!).

So all I need to do is send my wheel back and Superstar will fit the bearings for me. They will also make a mod to the hub so that any future bearings changes can be done by me at home without the need to send the wheel back to them.

Spot on.

Cheers for everyones help. Hopefully this post will confirm a few things for people who come up against the same problem in the future as there is very little info about it on the net currently.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Seems like a fair solution, will they be paying the return postage?

Also any idea what the mod is and if their new hubs have had it carried out before they're sold?
  • cmd205
    Not too bothered about the postage but I'd expect it to be superstar.

The email they sent me is below:

Superstar - Hello if you have the original superleggera hubs then a special tool is needed for the first bearing change. If you return it to us we will do it free of charge as it’s a nightmare of a job.

Me - Does that mean that after you do the first change, I'll be able to do them afterwards, or will I always have to send it back when this specific bearing needs changing?

Superstar - Its just a washer they added for one model year without telling us! It doesn’t do anything and we can remove it so you can change bearings yourself with no problems in future.

So it looks like the current hubs are fine.
  • Neal_
    Thanks cmd205. That makes sense now, also good to know removing the freehub ratchet ring nut is a nightmare so I never try and attempt it myself! I'm actually thinking of getting the Switch Evo hubs so I'll contact them myself on bearing replacement for those rather than the Superleggera.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Evo hub bearing replacement is easy you just need a drift and a hammer. This is the email I was sent

"Hello the tube between the bearings is supported by two rubber o-rings, these self centre the tube to make fitting the wheels easier. If you place your drifting tool inside the hub and push the tube back around 2mm so you can get a grip on the edge of the bearing, you can knock the bearing and the 2 endcaps out in one go. It works best if you go around the bearings slowly tapping it out ."

A list of the bearings needed
    Switch EVO F
    6804 x2
    Switch EVO R
    6902 x2
    6902 x2

If you want I can PM you the superstar service sheet for the EVO hubs let me know. I got my bearings as a kit off ebay a guy in Edinburgh called Katec good service.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Neal_
    stubs wrote:
    Evo hub bearing replacement is easy you just need a drift and a hammer. This is the email I was sent

"Hello the tube between the bearings is supported by two rubber o-rings, these self centre the tube to make fitting the wheels easier. If you place your drifting tool inside the hub and push the tube back around 2mm so you can get a grip on the edge of the bearing, you can knock the bearing and the 2 endcaps out in one go. It works best if you go around the bearings slowly tapping it out ."

A list of the bearings needed
    Switch EVO F
    6804 x2
    Switch EVO R
    6902 x2
    6902 x2

If you want I can PM you the superstar service sheet for the EVO hubs let me know. I got my bearings as a kit off ebay a guy in Edinburgh called Katec good service.

Spot on Stubs, thank you :mrgreen: That stops me worrying about faffing about to service them, if you don't mind then definitely PM me the service sheet for them.