What is GT85 used for?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Apologies for the newbie question. I've been given a can of GT85 for free when I purchased my bike and accessories. Which bits of the bike should this be used on, and which bits should I not use it on?

Comments

• Search for WD40 GT 85 threads - there are lots of them.

Anything from nothing, to just cables, to everything but the brakes.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Mrs says it makes her sore down there. Gone back to the WD40
    Peter
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm in the nothing really camp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I use it on my cables with middleburn cable oilers. Just keep it away from bearings really.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i use it to clean my brake discs and pads... it's especially good on pads..... :P :P :P

i'm in the no no no no no no no camp....
  • I only use it `coz it smells nicer than WD40 :)

Other than that, use it as a water repellant on components after washing the bike, not on the brakes obviously, use a Teflon type lube spray on the mech pivots, any open cable runs etc and a decent chain wax on the chain.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Its great as a water repellent on bits like bolt heads and gear cables. Useful if you ever get your bike wet. Or wash it.

It works pretty good as a degreaser. For that reason keep it away from anything that has grease or lubricant - ie inside bearings, on the chain. Chains and bearings need proper lube and grease.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I spray a bit on my spd's and cleats to keep them nice and smooth (and rust free)
    Did this for years and never had a stuck cleat.
  • Use it to coat my front and rear mech after a wash, and also use it to coat my SPDs. Used to use it on my chain with no issues, used to get some real smooth shifts with it...seemed to work very well but when it got proper wet, I'd need to apply it at start and end of each ride...I stopped using it due to that - a can a week wasn't helping the finances!

I use Squirt o the chain now and GT-85 on the mechs, SPDs and sometimes the shifters (when I can be bothered opening them up and soaking them).
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I'm another who does NOT use it.

I remember a while ago we were going off for a days riding, and my mate got the WD40 out and covered his chain, cassette and front and rear mechs with it.
    He then turns to me and asks if I'd like mine doing before we go??

NO I F*#*ING WELL DON'T! It doesn't belong anywhere on a bike really, there is much better products out there that have been developed especially for bikes.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I really don't know why people are anti towards WD40 and such like, put it where it should go and keep it away from where it shouldn't. Simple. Is oil bad for your car, well yes of course it is if you put it in your fuel tank but no if you put it in the engine.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    teulk wrote:
    I really don't know why people are anti towards WD40 and such like, put it where it should go and keep it away from where it shouldn't. Simple. Is oil bad for your car, well yes of course it is if you put it in your fuel tank but no if you put it in the engine.
    +1
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    386ka wrote:
    teulk wrote:
    +1
    Because people seem to think it is a general bike coating, like chocolate.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy46 wrote:
    I'm another who does NOT use it.

I remember a while ago we were going off for a days riding, and my mate got the WD40 out and covered his chain, cassette and front and rear mechs with it.
    He then turns to me and asks if I'd like mine doing before we go??

If no other maintenance is done bar this then it's 100% better than not doing anything.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Morrisons do an own brand "maintence spray" for 99p that appears to have more oil and less solvent, i bought some to flush out some bearings and was a little disappointed with its degreasing quality's.

Tried some on the chain before a ride and it seamed ok to be honest, by the end of the ride it was black and dirty, wiped it down, then lubed it again before the next ride.

Also tried some on the cables and it was decent on that.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • teulk wrote:

That of course assumes the owner knows what they are doing...and that is part of the problem - most people don't know...so they buy something that looks like it'll do the job and then just apply it liberally everywhere...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Used to use it as a mist of spray around the mechs and admittedly around the big pivots on the old GT. Just sprayed from a distance so it's more likely to just leave the Teflon residue, but think the benefit was all in my mind. It seemed to help in stopping them creaking so much. It didn't get in the bearings though, and was sure to avoid injecting it into those areas. The mechs mainly benefited as typically I didn't clean them and it would flush out the gunk. Never went near anything else.

Now I just use it to degrease, e.g. taking off a component to clean I'll give it a bath in GT85. Though even then soapy water will do.

The sprays I use now are a squirty oil thing which is good for lubing stuff (no solvent), and furniture polish! Turns out the likes of Mr Sheen and Pledge are recommended for cleaning and giving a protective finish. If nothing else it makes the bike smell nice.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I use gt85 on my cables to keep them runnin smooth, on my chain when ive cleaned it to get rid of any remaining water before using chain lube, on my front/rear mech when washed to get rid of any remaining water before lubing, on the spring of my pedals to help keep them smooth and many more small jobs similar.

Dont whatever you do get it on your brake pads or rotors cause it will mean new pad time and a serious clean of the rotors before fitting them.

Alot of people dont like it but i get on great with it aslong you avoid the obvious.
  • Always avoid your obvious, obviously.
  • Anonymous
    Re use on chains. From http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

"Avoid the use of solvents, not only are these bad for the environment, they remove lubricant from the chain's bearing"

i.e. no GT85 and similar on chains.
  • Probably should use water only then...it's 99.9% as effective as oil...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    DickBarton wrote:
    Probably should use water only then
    Why?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    What is GT85 used for?

When Plus Gas isnt available, you work your way down the list.

AC90
    GT85
    WD40...
    :lol:
    That said I don't use them on my bike.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Anonymous
    Plus Gas -> 3-in-1 penetrating. Then the rest.

If it's got to the point of using that stuff then I'll have the breaker bar out and may even apply flame.