Fake Zaskars on ebay

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited December 2011 in MTB general
As in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2011-GT-Z ... 2569c390c6

Yeah, looks really like one lol. Anyway I have reported it twice and ebay refuse to do owt. Would appreciate it if the good members of ebay would report it too.

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    So I take it the pic of the complete bike in the ad is how the frame should look? If so, pretty basic fail...
  • Yeah the complete bike pic looks correct lol the other frame is funky but not correct.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Question:

Hi you do realise that you are selling a fake GT frame ?? This is not a Zaskar..take a look at the photo of the complete bike...that is a proper GT frame with the trade mark GT Triple Triangle...the fake one your selling does have it on the frame but does not have the triple triangle design. As a trusted seller I thought you would have spotted this as it's your reputation.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonic
    Good work. Just don't understand why ebay just ignored me. And their reporting process is a bastard. Why not have a nice simple option like 'goods not as described' or 'picture does not match description'? I guess they don't care as long as stuff sells.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Done
    There are often older fake Zaskars listed. Easy enough to get some cheap stickers off Ebay and stick them on a basic GT frame. Sometimes not even on GT frames - just lookalike BSO frames.
    But anybody spending that much on a frame that doesn't even resemble a real one almost deserves to be ripped.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Yeah, see a lot of Avalanches dressed as Zaskars, but again ebay don't give a shit.
  • cooldad
    I wonder about the carbon one currently for sale in the classifieds. Seller looks like a bit of a dodgy character.
    Might report it to Andy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    I cloned it from my other using neutrinos.

Looks like a I have a frame buyer on Retro bike though!
  • cooldad
    Plenty of weirdos there. Should have cloned a Klein and you'd make a mint.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    I sold a purple Ringle hub on there with the spokes cut off and a freewheel jammed on for £40!
  • Pudseyp
    Perhaps we are all wrong ?????

The smalls have a sloping top tube and a different seat-tube junction than the other sizes. The one pictured is a small. I will update this listing with pictures of the medium. DEFINITELY not a fake GT frame. I have sold several of these, both completes and frames. I am a GT dealer, where would I have gotten a fake frame from??

As the sizing goes down the geometry changes and they cannot build a small frame with the tripple triangle. I suggest you call your local dealer as like you say its my reputation !
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    A GT dealer who can't spell triple triangle?
    The nerve of some people...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has the offending picture gone then? All I see is a set of frame pictures which look convincing to me. Bearing in mind I don't know the Zaskar, but quick compare with the same bike in various places on the net and it seems to look the same.

He's also based in the US. Whilst there are fakers there, the vast majority on ebay are in the far east, and China in particular have the balls to just knock off everything and not give a toss.

Still wouldn't buy something of that price from ebay though.
  • Pudseyp
    deadkenny wrote:
    Has the offending picture gone then? All I see is a set of frame pictures which look convincing to me. Bearing in mind I don't know the Zaskar, but quick compare with the same bike in various places on the net and it seems to look the same.

He's also based in the US. Whilst there are fakers there, the vast majority on ebay are in the far east, and China in particular have the balls to just knock off everything and not give a toss.

Still wouldn't buy something of that price from ebay though.

Yes the listing is for a medium but he had pics of the small......if you look at his other listings the small frame without the questionable triple triangle is for sale...
  • Anonymous
    Got it. The triple appears to be a core part of the spec on GT's site and you'd surely expect it regardless of size.

Maybe "they" really couldn't build the small with the triple, but "they" may not be GT.
  • Pudseyp
    deadkenny wrote:
    Got it. The triple appears to be a core part of the spec on GT's site and you'd surely expect it regardless of size.

Maybe "they" really couldn't build the small with the triple, but "they" may not be GT.

To be honest I think its legit...as he has a few GT's and other brands for sale...

also found this team issue carbon without the triple triangle again in small

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5qE2IooxRcEKoUKUZ5lyo4Aw9XM-uZERLbYVpha8a5B9dmGQQj6_faMN9

and another
    http://coolmountainbikes.info/2011-gt-z ... raw-small/
  • The pictures on the listing have definately changed since last night! Something Dodgey there I say.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Pudseyp
    north-sure wrote:
    The pictures on the listing have definitely changed since last night! Something Dodgey there I say.

Did you read my post above !!! the original listing for a medium pictured a small frame hence some of the confusion...he has the pictures originally questioned against another frame which is the small...unless someone calls GT I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he has sold a couple of these frames and has 100% feedback...I guess we are wrong...
  • supersonic
    The original pics looked larger than a small, and also appeared to have different downtubes. Either way, looks like he has the right one up now! I knew for a fact the M were triple triangles.
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    north-sure wrote:
    The pictures on the listing have definitely changed since last night! Something Dodgey there I say.

Did you read my post above !!! the original listing for a medium pictured a small frame hence some of the confusion...he has the pictures originally questioned against another frame which is the small...unless someone calls GT I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he has sold a couple of these frames and has 100% feedback...I guess we are wrong...

:oops: No I didn't read that one... I got confused reading some of the other ones so just skipped to the bottom. :oops:
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Still seems a bit weird that GT wouldnt list on there web page something like "size small doesnt come with the trademark triple triangle and looks totally different to your mates medium" :D .

Size medium still looks like a normal Zaskar and I would be happy with that but I would be dissapointed if I ordered a size S opened the box and found a totally different looking bike :D
  • Russ-Tyson wrote:
    Still seems a bit weird that GT wouldnt list on there web page something like "size small doesnt come with the trademark triple triangle and looks totally different to your mates medium" :D .

Size medium still looks like a normal Zaskar and I would be happy with that but I would be dissapointed if I ordered a size S opened the box and found a totally different looking bike :D

Except it doesn't look totally different, just a small difference.
  • Anonymous
    Small but it's one of the factors they're selling the bike on, as they make a point of the triple triangle in the spec.

Don't think it makes a blind bit of difference in the ride though.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Small but it's one of the factors they're selling the bike on, as they make a point of the triple triangle in the spec.

Don't think it makes a blind bit of difference in the ride though.

Very true.