Schwalbe Marathon Winter (spike) tyres

Bordersroadie
Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
edited November 2016 in Commuting general
I bought them a month ago and have started to use them more of late.

I'm tempted to say they're a bit like triple chainsets in that you may rarely need them on a return trip, but when you do, it's great to have those spikes!

This morning was a case in point. It wasn't terribly cold, maybe minus 1 or 2. The car windscreens were well iced up and there was a heavy frost but most of my (all rural) 12 miles commute had been gritted. 07:30: "Hmm, I wonder if I can get away with normal slick tyres, or should I take the "Spike Bike"?"

Sure enough most of the roads were ice free, and then I rounded a well-known blind bend on about mile four. Where the field had been flooding water across the road, it had frozen into a big ice-rink, and I was committed to the gradual fast-ish sweeping turn, right in its path. I winced and unclipped. The tyres just gripped. Amazing, and very, very reassuring. So, worth taking the Spike Bike today, otherwise I would have defintely had a painful off, without a doubt.

Most of the rest of the journey was uneventful, as was the wet, mild run home, but the Marathon Winters proved their worth.

I noticed I've lost a couple more studs from the front. That's about six so far, but none from the rear for a while. I'm still running at the max 70psi and adding only about 10 to 12% journey time. They're heavy but the flywheel effect actually helps on the less uphill bits.

Looking forward to heavier frosts, more ice and maybe some compacted snow in the weeks ahead.

How are you other boys and girls getting on with yours?

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Only used the Snow studs once so far, not because of ice, just because I was sick of the road commute and I had a new Magicshine to play with on an off road route to work, and the tyres were already fitted.

Had my tyres two years and am yet to lose any studs. Might be worth an email to Schwalbe as a mate got some studs in the post FOC for his Winters as they lost a few straight away.

I stick to my fixed road bike with 23mm tyres for as long as poss, then out comes the MTB. Horrible with the spikes on road though, just so slow.
  • Wish I had some. I came a cropper on ice this morning - first off in 2000 miles. Oh well....
  • ooh tempting to swap mine over as purchased these a few months back, slight frost at 2 degrees today so a possible swap this weekend as the forecast is -1 degrees next week. This is a reassuring thread!
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I've got some on my Day One purely for the bad weather. used this morning for the first time, but not as frosty as expected :? :? .
    I lost 7/8 studs while bedding them but emailed schwalbe UK and they sent replacement ones out with instructions to use a bit of glue and pliers to replace them - great service - just bring on the snow. Very noisy though on Tarmac.
  • They're great - my ride in on Friday morning would have been impossible without them. The heavy rain of Thursday had frozen solid for about the first 9 or 10 miles - so just mile after mile of sheet ice with, in places, a layer of water just forming on top. As a veteran of two winter campaigns on these roads on Schwalbe Ice Spikers, I know what to expect from the Marathon Winters - hard work but utterly reliable. They do seem to shed studs easier than the Ice Spikers (which lost almost none) and I'm interested in how they perform in snow - the Spikers were almost too wide at the front in particular and would wedge up snow under the tyre until the rear wheel lost the ability to provide enough traction. I'm hoping that the Marathons "cut" through the snow more - we'll soon see I think - our first settled snow is here.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • @meanredspider - what type of bike are you using the marathons on, is it mtb ? I was told at the bike shop that you can't get them to fit a cyclocross bike, just wondering .. thanks !
    Road:Giant SCR3
    Commuting: Giant TCX2
  • Clairep wrote:
    @meanredspider - what type of bike are you using the marathons on, is it mtb ? I was told at the bike shop that you can't get them to fit a cyclocross bike, just wondering .. thanks !

if it helps at all I'm running mine on a CX bike and they fit just fine. in fact fitted them today brand new and had zero issues.
  • mmm, ineresting .. well the Schwalbe snow spikes were too big for the rims of my giant TCX and it was thought they might fit hybrid rims but then the wheels might not fit on the bike .. have done a swap and put ice spikes on my mtb instead .. and just use the TCX when its above freezing ... thanks !
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    So glad I fitted mines the other day. 20 inch Marathon Winter for a Dahon folding bike. They fit even with mudguards on. Heavier than the Marathon Supreme, but still rolling well, and plenty of grip on wet/frozen leaf infested cycle paths too!
    Noisier than I expected though...
  • The overall opinion of users of these spike tyres is great, but I've never used them, or any spiked tyres for that matter. What is it like to ride them in icy conditions? How much do you have to adjust your riding?
    k.curtis
  • What is it like to ride them in icy conditions? How much do you have to adjust your riding?

I'm new to them and tentatively exploring their limits, partly because it's only a month since a nasty off that took me to A&E and the shoulder is still sore. Having read up on them copiously via forums, the general view seems to be that you still have to ride cautiously. Braking hard and locking wheels could rip out studs and I wouldn't be that keen on leaning into corners too much.

For me that's absolutely fine - I don't care if my journey times are increased, just the fact that I can still ride the bike safely in such conditions is a massive benefit.

We've got two inches of snow/ice and minus 2 right now (ideal Marathon Winter conditions) and I'm regretting that I can't try them out on a commute, as I have a work-from-home day today. :(
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I quite fancied studs for this winter, but decided I could do without the expense, and I was going to hope for the best on the MTB with mud tyres :?.
    But then Bomp jr. went out on his paper round yesterday morning - hard frost, thin sprinkling of snow, light snow falling - which involves a 25-30 min ride, about 50/50 road & off road, just to get to the starting point. And he wasn't impressed with the number of times he ditched off my bike, which he's been pinching regularly since his old one caved in.
    As he's getting a new bike this week, which happens to be the same make and model as mine ('cos he's so used to it by now ;-)) it occurred to me that we can put studs on one pair of wheels and share them - mud tyres for walking the dog and general hooning in the woods, Snow Studs (they seemed like the best option for us) for commuting & winter paper rounds.
    I'll let you know how we get on!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    fnegroni wrote:

Like riding though a bowl of rice crispies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clairep wrote:
    @meanredspider - what type of bike are you using the marathons on, is it mtb ? I was told at the bike shop that you can't get them to fit a cyclocross bike, just wondering .. thanks !

Sorry - missed this (missing the "posts since last visit" capability)

Err yes - 35c Marathon Winters fit my CX (and many others) just fine - including mudguards.
    The overall opinion of users of these spike tyres is great, but I've never used them, or any spiked tyres for that matter. What is it like to ride them in icy conditions? How much do you have to adjust your riding?

After the studs are bedded down (30 miles on tarmac does just fine) they are fine. There's more "give" in the tyre which, if you're used to a road tyre, is slightly unnerving but the grip is there and they are just brilliant on ice. As noted, they are very noisy (most bizarre noise on Friday evening entering the village at 35mph - like tearing fabric) and they are harder work. But I'd rather arrive home tired than black & blue or with a plaster cast...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'm definitely going to look at getting a pair. Cheers.
    k.curtis
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Asprilla wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

I was thinking "frying bacon" as I gave mine a test rumble yesterday.
  • fnegroni
    DrLex wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

Quite apt descriptions, both of them! :-)

I must admit I was expecting a much quieter ride compared to the Ice Spiker for example. Especially at higher inflation pressure such as 80 PSI.
  • You certainly get some interesting looks as you cycle by....
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I feel like I ought to be dressed as an extra from Mad Max 2. Must dig out the yakktrax (mini-crampon-like items) so that I can get around when not on two wheels.
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    DrLex wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

I was thinking it sounded more like riding on a light dusting of snow!

I've had mine about a week. No snow or ice yet down here in rainy Plymouth but I'm running them in.

Have to say; I do love the noise they make but I am a bit of a big kid.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    The Ors wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:

I was thinking it sounded more like riding on a light dusting of snow!

I've had mine about a week. No snow or ice yet down here in rainy Plymouth but I'm running them in.

Have to say; I do love the noise they make but I am a bit of a big kid.

Having needed mine the last 2 days, I hoped the sound would mellow when they came into their own on the ice, but no its louder.....but so worth it...unbelieveable grip on ice - alot more than I hoped or expected.
  • First time on them today - brilliant ! vood on thin packed snow, definitely got some odd looks !
  • Clairep wrote:
    First time on them today - brilliant ! vood on thin packed snow, definitely got some odd looks !

That's good. Just noticed your location. I'm in Culbokie (commute to Inverness) - not much THIN packed snow here - deep wet horrible stuff.
  • The Ors
    Does anyone use these tyres off road?

By off road I mean over rough stuff, stones, tree roots etc rather than just a smooth track.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy another pair of wheels & swap back & forth or just to leave the Marathons on for the winter. The thing is; I'm thinking that the fairly rough off road riding I do (MTB) will probably just rip all the studs out & these tyres cost almost as much as a set of wheels.
  • The Ors wrote:

By off road I mean over rough stuff, stones, tree roots etc rather than just a smooth track.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy another pair of wheels & swap back & forth or just to leave the Marathons on for the winter. The thing is; I'm thinking that the fairly rough off road riding I do (MTB) will probably just rip all the studs out & these tyres cost almost as much as a set of wheels.

the studs will only really help on ice and compacted snow, soft compound mud tyres will be a better bet on thicker ice, mind you at close on £40 a tyre they are hardly cheap option either.
  • The Ors wrote:

If you do that, you should be using Ice Spikers not Marathon Winters. I've found Ice Spikers and Ice Spiker Pros to be very robust off road - they're very popular on the Strathpuffer endurance race.
  • The Ors
    I didn't explain myself very well...

I have a road bike and an MTB. The roadie is for commuting in nicer weather; the MTB is used for cross-country riding, usually in fairly rough conditions & for commuting in winter/bad weather.

I have a decent set of off-road tyres (Kenda Nevegal) and have recently bought a set of Marathon Winters for commuting when it gets a bit icy. The thing is, I only have one set of wheels for the MTB & am trying to decide whether to get another set. Do I have two sets of wheels & drop the Marathons on for icy weather only or stick with one set of wheels, stick the Marathons on for the winter & also use them off-road (no ice or snow but plenty of stones, mud, tree roots etc).

I'm thinking that using the Marathons to bash through the local scenery will probably just rip the studs out???
  • Well the studs don't get ripped out of the Ice Spikers and I'd imagine (though I've not checked) that they are the same studs on the Spikers (not the Pros) as the Marathons.
  • I did masses of research (ie everything that's ever been discussed in Europe and USA forums!!) on these tyres, including the Ice Spikers, before buying the Marathon Winters.

My dilemma was similar to yours except that I have a spare set of wheels for my MTB. As Meanredspider said, the Ice Spiker Pro studs are different to the Marathon Winters and are fitted in more securely. I definitely read this as it stuck in my mind when I read it, but please don't ask me to find the quote! I'm not sure if the non-pro Ice Spikers (they're rigid not folding) have the same studs as the Winters despite everything I've read.

My route to work is all rural tarmac but the first mile is a rough, muddy, stoney farm track. This may be why I'm losing studs, I suspect, although to be fair I've not lost any for a few trips, so I'll reserve judgement for now and post findings here. Personally I'd not use the Winters for true offroad riding, I think the stud anchorage is too fragile especially given the softness of the tyre rubber.

For proper ice/snow MTB the Pros are the tyre to use, I'd say. Very expensive though. I got Winters for £30 but the Pros are nearer £50 each!
  • fnegroni
    As I own both sets (Marathon Winter and Ice Spiker), I can confirm that both use the same studs (i.e. not the studs found on the Ice Spiker Pro).

I didn't lose any studs on the Ice Spiker in just under 50 miles offroading last winter (near 200miles total including tarmac).

That is on frozen mud and gravel potholed paths.

If I could only afford one set, (as I did last year), and needed to use it for both smooth tarmac and offroad bits, I would buy the Ice Spiker only.

These are my findings from a year ago, which remain the same for this winter:
    Preview: http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... piker.html
    Review: http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... eview.html