Blue Meanie
Blue Meanie Posts: 495
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "The goal is to build the software into the next generation of smart cars, which would use vehicle-to-vehicle communication to warn drivers that there is a prat about to jump the light"

Hah!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Perhaps this could be integrated with pop-up tyre shredders.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I hope they're not basing all their research on data from one junction! Obviously didn't employ a statistician at the design stage of their data collection.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    There would be a problem if you are following a predicted RLJ. Your computer would say 'relax, this guy is going through so you can take your time braking'. What happens if the RLJ then changes their mind at the last second ? Crunch.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    twostage: You should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. So if the car in front stops dead and you hit him then it's your fault for being too close, whether or not some psychic computer has told you he's going straight on :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Twostage
    bails87 wrote:
    twostage: You should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. So if the car in front stops dead and you hit him then it's your fault for being too close, whether or not some psychic computer has told you he's going straight on :wink:
    Good advice but people learn to rely on what they are told by a machine i.e. sat nav. How many people ended up in rivers because the tom tom told them to turn left ? Most of the people who use sat nav to get to our house spend ages going through a local private estate round windy, badly surfaced roads blithely ignoring the 'private road' signs because that is the way they are being told to go so they have to go that way. :roll:
    Whilst on the subject of futurist vehicle technology speculation I wonder what else vehicle-to-vehicle communication would bring ?
  • Red lights i generally look to see if anyone is doing it
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • Twostage wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    twostage: Whilst on the subject of futurist vehicle technology speculation I wonder what else vehicle-to-vehicle communication would bring ?

I've always hoped for Motorway Road Trains - where cars form up behind a big truck and from pelotons, monitored and controlled by 'puters
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Twostage
    Twostage wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    twostage: Whilst on the subject of futurist vehicle technology speculation I wonder what else vehicle-to-vehicle communication would bring ?

I've always hoped for Motorway Road Trains - where cars form up behind a big truck and from pelotons, monitored and controlled by 'puters
    That happens now when a lorry pulls out to overtake another lorry, going uphill at .000001 mph faster than the lorry it is overtaking and you are stuck in a huge queue of cars waiting for the painfully slow overtake. Then when you get to the top of the hill and the manouvre is complete and you are going downhill the overtaken lorry pulls out to retake as it can go .000001 mph faster downhill than the lorry that has overtaken it :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Twostage wrote:
    Twostage wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

That happens now when a lorry pulls out to overtake another lorry, going uphill at .000001 mph faster than the lorry it is overtaking and you are stuck in a huge queue of cars waiting for the painfully slow overtake. Then when you get to the top of the hill and the manouvre is complete and you are going downhill the overtaken lorry pulls out to retake as it can go .000001 mph faster downhill than the lorry that has overtaken it :evil: :evil: :evil:

I take it you're describing the A1.